Dream a Little Dream of Weed

Is it possible to get high through osmosis? Here’s the story:

Randy had a tooth pulled yesterday. The doctor prescribed him Percocet for the pain. I spent the night with him to aid him in his time of need (did laundry, cooked dinner, cleaned dishes, etc…). He took his first Percocet around 8PM and within an hour he was smiling and somewhat loopy. But by 9PM he said he felt unpleasantly drunk, and by 10PM or so he said he felt nauseas, and that it reminded him of why he doesn’t smoke pot.

So, essentially, that was our last conversation before retiring to bed…and that’s where the dreams kicked in. For some reason, we were on vacation in San Francisco. And, in my dream, San Francisco legalized pot in coffeehouses, tea shops, and (of all things) CD stores. We went to a store that resembled Boston’s Newbury Comics (in San Francisco I suppose the equivalent would be Amoeba Records) and sat down at the counter where Randy ordered some pot.

Now, before I go on, I should say that I’ve never smoked pot in my life so I have no idea what the effects are on a personal level. I just recall when I was in Amsterdam that you could buy it at coffeeshops in the form of a joint, a space cake, or a brownie.

In my San Francisco dream, however, you could buy pot in the form of Sprees. You know, those multi-colored candies from your childhood. Anyway, the clerk brought us a small bowl full of them. You were supposed to pay for each piece of candy you took, but when the waiter wasn’t looking, I kept grabbing small amounts of pot-laced Sprees and putting them in the pockets of my cargo shorts. Needless to say, we left the store with more than we paid for.

It was a very trippy dream – as if I was the one under the influence of the Percocet’s and not Randy.

I think I’m going to run to the candy aisle at CVS…I’ve got the munchies.

1. Comment by Mark on August 31, 2007 10:24 am

Was it pot or acid? Is your subconscious telling you to be less of a hipster and more of a hippie??

2. Comment by Will on August 31, 2007 12:31 pm

I managed to get through the hippie era drug free (go figure–I was still fighting my way out of oppressive Catholicism) but I did do pot and cocaine (one time only and found it dangerously wonderful) in my 30s. I evenrtually had to stop smoking because it began to get into my ears and affect my sense of balance. I’d be feeling just great and then the dizzyness would kick in. I’d have to lie down before I fell down. It would last up to two hours and was a very unpleasant sensation. But I never had anw problem with my asthma during the period when I smoked pot..