Fin de Semana….y Fin de Vinyl!

I’m finally done! The project I’ve been working on sporadically over the summer is finally over! Back in the spring I decided I’d convert all of my father’s vinyl records and tapes into mp3’s. The original converter I bought came with software that came with no instructions. Needless to say, even Randy (a computer pro) had trouble figuring it out.

I gave up on the project until Randy directed me toward a record player that plugs right into the computer…and it came with easy to use software that even came with instructions! For the past few weeks I’ve been burning every Lawrence Well, Roy Clark, Johnny Mathis, Mel Tillis, and K-tel country music album my father had in his collection.

While I was at it, I also converted all of my old 45’s into mp3: artists and groups like Sly Fox (Let’s Go All the Way), Shangri-Las (Leader of the pack), Charlie Sexton (Beat’s So Lonely), plus Dead or Alive, Howard Jones, Thomspon Twins, Marilyn Martin, Bonnie Tyler, Arcadia, Power Station, Aretha Franklin, John Cougar Mellencamp..and even U.S.A. for Africa!

Ah, memories.

1. Comment by Will on September 8, 2007 3:03 pm

For those of us who’ve been collecting complete operas on vinyl since we were seven years of age (and we will NOT go into how long ago that was), could you please reveal the name of this wonderful machine? Thanks!

2. Comment by snarl on September 8, 2007 10:35 pm

It’s an Ion USB turntable….we picked it up at Costco in Dedham (close to your old neck of the woods). It’s easy to use (you could probably buy it online, too). Runs about $119. Definitely worth it (you can record at higher speed and adjust with the click of a button).