Jinx!

I did it again – I jinxed myself. Not even a week ago I was commenting to a friend about how “life is good.” And it was – or so it seemed. Little did I know that trouble was brewing.

First – a freak late-season tropical storm threatens to botch our departure for Buenos Aires tomorrow. Here I’m thinking it’s early November and too late for tropical storms and too early for major snow. WRONG! I wouldn’t mind so much if our flight was direct (since we could just leave when we could leave). But we have a connection in Dallas with a 2-hour layover. If we miss that connection, the next flight to Buenos Aires is 24 hours later. Ugh.

Second – we decided to fly to California then drive through the desert to Phoenix for the holiday recess between Christmas and New Years. We contacted friends in both cities and things seemed good for places to stay at the beginning and end of the trip (in between we’d get a hotel for one or two nights near Palm Springs/Joshua Tree National Park). Our friends all seemed eager to see us and tentatively told us to do it. We found affordable tickets on Wednesday and put them on hold so we could finalize details with our friends that night.

A day later we finally heard back from my friend in California who was all excited and said to do it. But during that 24 period between putting the tickets on hold and buying them, they’d gone up $50.00 in price. However, Randy didn’t refresh the screen and it appeared it would allow him to book the tickets at the original price…so he did, and it worked. Then not an hour later did his friend from Phoenix call and say that he doesn’t think we can stay with him. ugh.

Third – and this is the worst of all – it appears that my sister-in-law, Heidi, isn’t doing well again. She went into the hospital in her hometown earlier in the week because she had fever and her feeding tubes appeared infected. They wanted to relocate her to a Boston hospital but had to wait for an available room in the infectious disease unit. They moved her on Tuesday afternoon and performed surgery on Wednesday to replace and relocate the feeding tube. By Wednesday night, she was inexplicably coughing up, and then vomiting, blood. As the night went on she had trouble breathing so they intubated her.

By yesterday she was on a ventilator and drugged to the point of being unconcious. This seems to be the most serious her condition has ever been. And it seems everything is gradually falling apart. She’s been wheelchair bound for over a year, and during that time she’s also become legally deaf. Now this.

Anyway, I guess when it rains it pours. And despite how crappy things suddenly seem to be, I do need to put things in perspective. I could have worse issues personally than just flight delays. I see what’s going on with my brother and his wife (and kids) and it makes me realize how lucky I am.