Fighting the Good Fight

As I expected, Randy’s cold is trying to take hold of my immune system. But I’m apparently fighting it. This is the third day I’ve felt the early symptoms but it hasn’t progressed beyond that (Randy had the early symptoms for one day before the cold kicked in).

Maybe I’m missing the worst of it?

Anyway, Randy is upset that I’ve not blogged about my moment of stupidity in Argentina – so here goes. There was a bakery on the first floor of our apartment in Buenos Aires. It smelled great every time we walked by. In the window, I noticed they had these little shortbread cookies with a big dollop of chocolate on top. They looked delicious and they were cheap! The sign said “1/4 = $6”. Now, a few clarifications. The symbol for peso is the same as the dollar. They distinguish between the two down there as such:

$ = peso
U$S = dollar

So, this meant that the cookies, in U.S. currency, were “1/4 = $2”. What a bargain! At that price, I decided to go with buying 1/2 instead of 1/4. And that’s where the problem was. They don’t measure in pounds…they measure in kilos. So it was 1/4 kilo.

Being American, I had no clue what that meant, but at $2 I assumed it couldn’t be that large of a quantity. Well, the clerk began placing cookies in a bag…then more cookies…and more cookies…and more cookies. I actually had her stop before reaching 1/2 kilo. I have no clue how much a 1/2 kilo would have been, but I walked away with an enormous bag of fresh cookies for less than $4.

Randy, being a chemist, knew all about metric measurements and laughed all the way home (and mocked me repeatedly the rest of the trip). In the end, I ate all the cookies and never went back for more.

However, since Randy mocked me, it’s my turn to mock him. Check out the photo above of Randy having an apparently hilarious conversation…with a stone pagoda.

1. Comment by Randy on November 15, 2007 10:41 am

The pagoda spoke. I listened. Hell I even replied!

2. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on November 15, 2007 10:44 pm

Glad you had a great time. What happened to all your photo galleries on Flickr?!?! 🙁 (Old ones and hopefully new ones!)

3. Comment by snarl on November 16, 2007 10:21 am

Hey, Dave! The bastards at flickr now want to charge me for storing photos with them. So now I’m seeking another photo warehousing site (probably zoomr). I just haven’t uploaded the pictures yet since that site is new and S-L-O-W in the uploading process.