Unfit to be an American

My tastes just don’t seem to allign with the American mentality. I think we should adopt the European models of universal health care. I think we should increase income taxes – provided they actually improve services like public transit and health care. And I tend to like their music.

Specifically, it’s well documented that I enjoy some early 1980’s new wave and pop. Much of the greats came from Europe (mostly the U.K.). You know, groups like ABC, Depeche Mode, Culture Club, Yaz, Dexy’s Midnight Runners, Soft Cell, Kim Wilde, The The, Texas, Spandau Ballet, Naked Eyes, Thompson Twins, Simply Red, Duran Duran, Dead or Alive, The Clash, The Communards, The Buggles, The Pretenders (though, Chrissy Hynde was from Ohio), Adam Ant, Bow Wow Wow, The Blow Monkeys, Madness, Modern English, Psychedelic Furs, The Smiths, The Other Ones, and Echo and the Bunnymen (to name a few).

Now I’m having a problem finding songs for my iPod. I was given a gift certificate for my birthday. I’ve found a bunch of songs on there that I’ve been hunting for for years. But there are other songs I can’t find there. Yet, I somehow accidentally logged into the iTunes website for the U.K. and they have all of the songs I want.

However, as a U.S. citizen, I can’t purchase them. I don’t get it…can’t they just charge me in pounds instead of dollars and calculate the exchange rate? Hell, they’d make more money since the songs are .79 pounds (which is about $1.59). Randy thought it might be a copyright issue (it might be)…but that doesn’t make sense to me since I could go to a U.K. music shop and buy the CD’s and bring them back.

But I can’t get them. It’s so discouraging. Good bye, Prefab Sprout, The Divine Comedy, The BlueBelles, and Aztec Camera (United States iTunes has some of their albums, but not the ones I want).

1. Comment by snarl on June 10, 2008 12:05 pm

Oh, and for the record, not all of the music I’m trying to find is as obscure as Prefab Sprout. I can’t even find some Bananarama albums (just select songs off a greatest hits album). And that’s about as pop as you can get!

2. Comment by J.P. on June 10, 2008 12:31 pm

All those fabulous 80s groups mentioned and not one letter of “The Human League”! Well!

Like you I’m all about the non-American stuff and I’m often frustrated by the licensing issues iTunes faces in different countries. I’ve pretty much abandoned buying my music from iTunes, instead I go to Amazon or a couple of other places and then just drag the files into iTunes.

3. Comment by Fred on June 10, 2008 1:26 pm

Another thought – have you tried Pandora, Karl? Totally great free online ‘radio’ where you build your own playlists/’stations’ based upon some song or artist you like – it then searches the ‘Music Genome Project” for other artists, including new ones, that you MIGHT like – and you can thumbs-down the ones you don’t (up to 6 an hour can be skipped, then the licensure limits kick in) -BUT, the point is, anything they play or you bookmark or search (and you can by song title), is typically linked to a ‘buy’ portal from either Amazon or iTunes…you might be able to track down individual tracks that way. In any case, it’s a brilliant thing for the office…www.pandora.com

Good luck!

PS – Prefab Sprout is considered obscure? I guess I’m showing my age….

4. Comment by Randy on June 10, 2008 11:03 pm

Yes Boys, Prefab Sprout is totally obscure. Not only have I never heard of it, it keep wanted to say something totally different. But for some reason its reminding me of Scout or jolly green giant or something.
    Ok back to the topic. I did ask Karl if he has ever considered buying music that was actually make in this decade or century/millennium? But you know he goes, oh I just purchased the new Madonna song.. Im like yes but are there not other current tunes you may like. (Don’t hate me Karl!)
    Dont get me wrong, I enjoy my 80’s music but I dont live on that music which sometimes it seems like Karl has been stuck there since then.
    Oh well, I will stop complaining I keep to my crazy dance music and my hit of 80s come with the remixes on BPM on xm radio.

5. Comment by snarl on June 11, 2008 9:53 am

YAY! We’ve found somebody who supplies more typos and incoherent sentences than I do! Thanks, Randy!

6. Comment by Karyn on June 11, 2008 4:41 pm

Pence, lovey. .79 pence. Not .79 pounds.

I am with you on the music thing; similar problem. But did I REMEMBER to go to a damn music shop and buy the frickin cds when I was there?? No. I choose to blame hormone poisoning (versus early onset dementia due to advancing age) for the memory lapse.

7. Comment by jeff on June 11, 2008 9:46 pm

Sounds like you want to live in Europe in the 80’s. Good luck, unfortunately I hear that place is riddled with scooters!