It Ain’t So Bad

BRRR -it’s cold in here. There must be some Toro’s in the atmosphere. I said “BRRRRRRRRR”! (my gay friend should get that reference…or any cheerleaders reading my blog).

Actually, I didn’t find it all that bad this morning. Perhaps it was the lack of wind, but for the coldest day of the year (or possibly the past few years) my walk to the bus and the subsequent wait were not all that horrific.

Granted, I was wearing work boots, long-johns, jeans, t-shirt, outer shirt, ski jacket, scarf, gloves, and 180 ear muffs…so that may have a bit to do with it.

Hard to believe just over one week ago I was wearing a swimsuit and lying on the beach. Harder still to believe that I was doing that only 1,400 miles or so away (not too far in the scheme of things).

The coldest morning I can recall was when I lived in Salem and took the commuter rail to work everyday. The train station in Salem is located on a body of water…where wind can whip up and beat you down. As always seemed to be the case when weather was extreme, the train was late so I waited and waited and waited in temps hovering around zero with a painful, bitter wind chills well below zero.

When it’s really cold, my eyes tend to tear up and drip down my cheek (I guess you could call it crying). And, as with most people when it’sĀ bitter cold, my nose will run. That morning in Salem was the only time I can recall both my tears and snots freezing up on me. I could flick the solid tears off my cheek. And as I began to notice what felt like rocks in my nose, I’d scratch the tip of my noseĀ and snot icicles would fall to the ground.

Did I just admit that?

1. Comment by Lise on January 15, 2009 11:57 am

It’s the lack of wind – that makes a huge difference. I think tomorrow is supposed to be the coldest of the days (and 2 night …). I feel your pain about the train – the station in Leominster is high on a hill, bitter winds – and no shelter. Damn cold!

2. Comment by BigMomma on January 15, 2009 3:59 pm

Nice tan Randy… Karl.. not so much.. …but at least you look cool in the shades..

3. Comment by Jeffrey on January 15, 2009 5:41 pm

Toros ? You’ll have to explain that one to me. I think it’s Spanish for “bull”, and a company that makes lawnmowers and snowblowers.

4. Comment by mindy on January 16, 2009 11:18 am

Is this blog some sort of cheer-tatorship?

5. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on January 20, 2009 1:35 am

I didn’t know you could use “snot” in the plural form.