Playing Favorites

Randy and I got together with our friend, Deano, last night for our usual game night. It’s actually been a month or so since we’ve seen him with all of Randy’s November travels and all of the holiday and work crap everybody has been dealing with in December.

We exchanged Christmas gifts and he gave us a game called Sequence. I’d never heard of it (though Randy said he had a recollection). It’s a combination card/board game…and is also apparently quite addictive. We played three rounds (Randy won once, I won twice…poor Deano).

But he made out okay with his Christmas gifts, too, so hopefully that all makes up for it.

Then this morning I pissed off Randy (oops). I find that I enjoy falling into the routine of things. When I commute home, I want to go straight home…no stopping off at the gym or post office or pharmacy or market. Perhaps I’m a bit OCD.

Well, I’m also a routine sort of guy around the house and the clearest evidence of that is my morning routine. I get up, I start heating up oatmeal, I pee, I finish prepping the oatmeal, drink my pomegranate/blueberry juice with vitamins, then watch the news and check my email. It is only then that I go back upstairs to, um, relieve myself and then shower.

That tends to happen on most days. But occasionally Randy’s schedule differs slightly (for example, he doesn’t have a 7am conference call, he’s traveling, or, like today, he’s working from home so in no rush since he an take a break at noon to shower.

But this morning, despite not having to go out, he turned on the shower water just as I was picking up my oatmeal bowl. I then ran upstairs to plead with him to use the other bathroom.

And that’s the thing…we have a second bathroom. With a second shower. I guess I sometimes forget that (memories of our old place with just one bathroom).

But I like the master bathroom better than the guest bathroom (besides, the soap and shampoo in the guest bath are his, whereas the master bath has two sets of soaps and shampoo).

But fine, I admit. Especially now that I’m reading this and seeing what it actually sounds like, I’m a freak.

But at least I’m a freak who smells good and has soft skin from using his own cleaning products.

1. Comment by Melody on December 23, 2009 11:22 am

Randy, I really feel for you. Karl, I do believe in your old age you are getting a bit more OCD than you use to be. 🙂

Have a GREAT holiday!

Melody

2. Comment by Randy on December 23, 2009 11:53 am

Thanks Melody.. I mean come on, we have a house with 3 toilets and 2 showers.
    I go to hop in the master shower and hes running to stop me. So I shower, have go to back to our bathroom after it and grab the shaving supplies etc since hes still busy.
    ugh.. I guess we need more master baths…!

3. Comment by Jeffrey on December 23, 2009 4:45 pm

At least you’re not touching every stair as you go down, or counting light switches. I’d say you’re at least a few years away from that.

4. Comment by deano on December 23, 2009 8:40 pm

Karl…I know what you went thru. Like you, I do have my “patterns” that I have to stick with or I get all “discombobulated” and then I get pissy. Damn it, we live by our routines and that is that!!! Luv us!!!

5. Comment by Randy on January 6, 2010 1:50 pm

Time for an update hun!