It Takes a Village

Randy’s fall down the stairs aside, I don’t think I could be much happier with our new townhouse. I’m reminded of that at times like this weekend, where we had a friend from Portland visiting and we were able to walk within a few minutes to a decent restaurant for dinner. Better yet, we had options for dinner.

Although a town and not a city, Arlington has a surprisingly diverse collection of restaurants in the town center (where we live). Within a few minute walk we can choose between Thai, Chinese, Japanese/sushi, Italian, Indian, Turkish, Middle-Eastern, pizza, bagels/breakfast, sub shops, standard American, high end “European (whatever that is)…even Argentinian, which is what we opted for last night.

Plus we’ve got various coffee shops, banks, stores, and even government services (post office, town hall, library) all nearby. And a 20+ mile bike path practically across from our front door. I’d hate for Randy to hear me say this, but I probably have more restaurants within closer proximity to me now than I did living in the North End (since my place in the North End was quite a few blocks from Salem Street or Hanover Street). Plus, there’s more diversity in dining options in Arlington (not just Italian).

Anwyay, once the weather actually improves I hope we’re ambitious enough to take advantage of our location.

Oh, and speaking of good weather, it looks like we’re in for some good weather in Mexico this week. The 10-day forecast for Playa del carmen shows sunny or mostly sunny days with highs in the upper 70’s/low 80’s…with no rain!… for our entire trip. YAY!

1. Comment by Lise on March 1, 2010 4:10 pm

I LOVED living in Arlington – we lived close to the center, as you seem to. Of course back then there were about 2 restuarants in Arlington, dry town of course, and very little diversity. But still loved it – so convenient, and yet not too crowed, etc – a nice in-between.

2. Comment by Jeffrey on March 1, 2010 5:19 pm

Arlington is fantastic.

3. Comment by BosGuy on March 13, 2010 4:13 pm

Congratulations on your new space in Arlington. I lived there when I was quite young and walked each day to Locke School off of Park Street near Mass Ave. I understand the building has now been converted into condos, which I’m sure are beautiful. I hope you enjoy living in Arlington.