Devil Dog: Hound from Hell

She’s Baaaaaaaaack!

My parents left for vacation yesterday, which means that I’m got babysitting duty for Dusty. Now, I should call it dogsitting, but this little beast has been so spoiled with 24/7 attention that she acts more like a baby.

I must admit, the way I treat her doesn’t help. I don’t necessarily think I spoil her, but I do walk on eggshells around her to accomodate her neediness. At six years old, it just feels like she’s too old to change.

She actually wasn’t so bad during the day. She didn’t poo or pee (see? words you’d use with a baby) in the house. And during the day she mostly laid on the sofa. She was also reasonably behaved on the car ride to Arlington – save for a brief moment of her doing her scream.

But last night…ugh, last night. Randy was leaving for his business trip to Asia today. In fact, he planned it this week so he wouldn’t have to be around her too much. But last night he was stuck with her. So I went to bed about an hour before Randy. When he entered the room, she woke up and started barking and growling at him.

Joy.

We yelled (and tapped her behind) and her tail drooped between her legs and she jumped off the bed and ran underneath it. Randy brushed his teeth and came to bed and she stayed down there for all of 1 minute before crawling out and acting all innocent – trying to get onto the bed again.

I want to state that when she was my dog 6 years ago, she was crated at night. It took time for her to get used to it, but she did. Well, my parents ended that practice immediately and now she absolutely will not sleep at night without a human being with her…on a human bed.

So, as Randy and I ignored he attempts to get into bed, she got more annoyed and then just started crying – preventing us from sleeping, too. Eventually, to shut her up, we put her at the foot of the bad. Of course, she didn’t want that and gradually migrated to my chest area…sleeping sideways taking up more space than any 14 pound dog should.

At least she slept…quietly.

Now, it sucks that Randy is gone for 12 days, but at least for the next 4 days (while Dusty is here) there will be more room in the bed.

I’d still rather it be Randy then her, though, even though he takes up even more space.

1. Comment by Lise on May 11, 2010 1:22 pm

Just be thankful it’s not a 26 pound cat who want to lie not just on the bed but on YOU! or at the very least squished up against you. He does make a comfortable back bolster though.

2. Comment by Candy on May 11, 2010 2:12 pm

How can you ever be mad at that face? She’s adorable.

3. Comment by Mark on May 12, 2010 5:47 am

Get rid of the bow. That’s probably the source of the whole attitude problem.

4. Comment by snarl on May 12, 2010 9:29 am

Oh, the bow is long gone. Actually, that was her after her first hair cut (and they put in a bow). She’s not had one since.

I must admit, she can be cute. In fact, she probably is most of the time. But when she has her moments? Look out!