Two Birds, One Stone

So, because of my mixed feedback lately (some requesting more food pics, others requesting more “all about Karl” text), I shall incorporate both.

First: a photo of last night’s dinner. MMMMM – dinner on the barbecue.

Second, all about my weekend.

Friday night was typical Friday night, with take-out (Thai), wine, and card games. Randy and I had hoped to go to the beach on Saturday, but the unpredictability of the weather kept us local. To be honest, I’m rather glad we did. We spent the first half of the day laying out on the roof deck, talking, listening to my music on my iPhone, and enjoying the frequent shade that passing clouds provided. But when the sun was out, damn was it hot. We were using a watering can and pouring water on ourselves fairly frequently to cool off.

Then the afternoon came with a few drops of drizzle so we headed inside. Which was a good thing considering the Cambridge/Arlington area received 3.3 inches of rain within an hour or two right after that.

At the last minute, we invited a few of Randy’s co-workers over so we got dinner at a Turkish restaurant down the street, then came back for board games. And wine, of course.

We had hoped, again, to go to the beach on Sunday but the weather forecast showed that it was predominantly cloudy along the coast so we ran some errands, then played tennis. After tennis is when that yummy burger and ear of corn were consumed.

All in all, a great weekend.

And now for some media stupidity. I saw on the news this morning that a Minnesota restaurant started having it’s waitstaff carry little handheld devices to enter orders so they can spend more time in the dining area and less running back and forth to the kitchen. They can also use the devices to pay for meals with credit cards instead of having to run back to a cash register. The news acted as if this was some technological breakthrough, but I’ve been seeing it happen in Europe for 5 years (and it was probably being used there years before that).

Is our country a) that technologically disadvantaged; b) that insulated from the rest of the world that even reporters/editors/producers haven’t traveled overseas and seen what goes on in other parts of the world; c) or that starved for stories that this constitutes news?

Sad.

1. Comment by Jeffrey on July 12, 2010 4:24 pm

The answer is D. All of the above. My TV broke 2 weeks ago and I didn’t miss it until I found out I’m missing hard hitting reporting like that.

2. Comment by Randy on July 14, 2010 1:35 pm

Jeff, you have TV? What? is this that old clunker from me that was dying when I gave it to you 5 years ago? 🙂 Did it take the VCR with it?

3. Comment by Jeffrey on July 14, 2010 2:38 pm

Actually Randy, it’s the DTV box. Your old TV still works fine. I can bring it back to you, I think I misses the city.