Major Surgery

Ok, so I suppose most people wouldn’t call it major surgery…but I went to the dentist yesterday and learned that I have a cavity. But this is traumatic for me. I’m one of the few people that doesn’t hate going to the dentist. I suppose a major reason is that I rarely get cavities. In fact, my last filling was 4 years ago and it was only because a childhood filling had popped out and it needed to be replaced. And the fillings before that were also replacements…and also approximately a decade ago. This is an actual NEW cavity (in a “pre-molar”…whatever that is).

I feel digusted in myself…like I failed a test or caught an STD. It’s like I’ve somehow been irresponsible and this is my punishment.

If I ever need a root canal the dentist better have smelling salts on hand when he/she tells me because I’m sure I’ll pass out.

Ugh – a filling. I wonder if my dentist offers laughing gas? Seriously, this is freaking me out. It’s like when you haven’t flown in years and you freak out when it’s time to next fly. You fear the unfamiliar. Maybe I can put it off? Or, what’s wrong with general anesthesia?

I’m having “Little Shop of Horrors” scenes playing out in my head (remember the sadistic dentist?…but at least he bursts into song and offers laughing gas, I suppose).

Sigh.

1. Comment by Jeffrey on March 31, 2011 4:48 pm

My teeth are more fillings than teeth at this point.

2. Comment by Melody on April 4, 2011 4:25 pm

Karl, you will be fine even if your dentist doesn’t have laughing gas, though if he does you will have to let me know when you are going so I can sit quitely in the reception area and listen to you. 🙂 My brother had laughing gas when we were younger and I vowed right then and there I would never have it. The whole place could hear him trying to talk and then laughing at himself. Just tell your dentist that you want enough novocain that you won’t feel your mouth for a couple of weeks. 🙂