I’ll Tumble 4 U

Picture it: Tokyo, 2012.

Dazed with a combination of jetlag, culture shock, and nearly eight hours of shopping, Randy and I were finally on the subway back to the apartment with our brand spanking new (and mighty stylish) granny grocery cart when the inevitable happens.

We arrive at Tokyo Station to transfer from the Keiyo line to the Yamanote line and I gracefully get up out of my seat and roll the cart to the door. Unbeknownst to me, the train platform is about 4 inches lower than the train floor…and about 5 inches away from the door. (For the record, my Japanese friends, it wouldn’t mind to put up some of London’s ubiquitous “Mind the Gap” signs about). I’m just saying.

Anyway, after having previously been rolling in and out of trains backwards, Randy pointed out that I could just as easily roll into doors forward, just tilt the front wheels up first. That worked fine and dandy at a low curb we’d crossed earlier so filled with confidence I lifted the front wheels and rolled forward to exit the train.

Now, honestly, I don’t have a clear recollection of what happened next as it transpired so quickly. The wheels got caught in the gap, the cart toppled forward, and I, spectacularly I must say, began to topple along with it. But, being filled with such grace, poise, and beauty, I managed to hurl myself up and over the cart to land on the station platform. Miraculously, the only parts of my body that hit the floor were my feet (which were supposed to be on the platform, of course) and a hand (which only briefly was used to upright myself).

I suspect my stumble appeared much more dramatic for those around us because Randy ran toward me to ask if I was OK…repeatedly. Fortunately, my mother’s big fear of me getting injured in Tokyo did not take place on just our second day here.

Shaken, and slightly humiliated, the cart was returned to it’s upright position and I continued to move along on with pride…

…with my granny grocery cart.

1. Comment by Lorri on June 6, 2012 6:50 pm

I’m impressed your groceries didn’t come tumbling out. I used to have one of those granny carts in Boston 🙂

2. Comment by snarl on June 6, 2012 7:12 pm

Ah, everything in the cart was either fresh or frozen. We purchased these huge insulated bags from Costco and filled them up with the food. Then, since they’re insulated, we zipped them shut and placed them in the card. They were packed so tightly (and sealed, so no loose items) that only the top bag slid off the cart. The other bags remained secure (fortunately).

3. Comment by Missy on June 6, 2012 7:20 pm

I would totally do that! Like the blog!

4. Comment by Kristen on June 7, 2012 7:37 pm

I’d say that’s some pretty impressive acrobatics to land on your feet! LOL!