Poem Dedicated to Muhammad (Week 4)

Beautiful Light

Oh God’s beloved, the beautiful light

Your golden flame shine through the darkness into

My heart of glass, which without you, shines cold.

You warm my soul from within

Your compassion radiates throughout me

And my body sings with love.

You are a part of me, apart from me,

A section of my soul never truly divorced

But never fully mine to hold.

Your love surrounds me, and though it may never be

Only mine, in your love, my heart shatters

And flows together with all that you are.

I lie here, thinking of your warm love

Wrapped around my rising chest

Your golden flame radiating through my glass.

In this moment, your love is not mine.

Mine is yours, all yours, with all my being.

And though I am only a stoneworker, what you are shapes my heart.

After reading about the different Urdu styles of poetry in praise of the Prophet Muhammad, I was inspired to try my own hand at a N’at. N’at poems are used to, “fervently express [the poet’s] powerful, all-consuming love and devotion” to Muhammad (Asani 173). I chose to write a musaddas, a poem consisting of six-line stanzas, using the major theme of Muhammad as not only a shining, guiding light as often alluded to in the Qur’an, but also a heart warming entity. Many poets use, “language borrowed from the…realm of human romance, while avoiding any explicit eroticism” (Asani 174). Thus, I wrote my poem from the point of view of a lover, lying in bed, desperately missing her beloved. The beloved is in fact Muhammad who not only warms her heart, but also inspires her to be a better, more compassionate person. One of my most peripheral goals was to show that Muhammad is not only God’s beloved, but the speaker’s beloved as well. However, as a mere human, the speaker cannot claim Muhammad’s love for herself. She can however dedicate her love entirely to him. My ultimate goal was to highlight the fact that there is only one ego: God’s ego. Muhammad is the intercessor that allows individuals to fully take part in and understand love for Allah, an entity that is all encompassing, who’s love is infinite. On a more technical note, I also included my takhallus or penname in the last line, as per tradition in N’at poetry. Since my name is Mason, I alluded to it using my penname, “stoneworker.”