Stop Torture » Blog Archive » Lawyers to File Criminal Charges against Rumsfeld, Gonzales in Spain

Stop Torture

The Harvard Anti-Torture Coalition

Lawyers to File Criminal Charges against Rumsfeld, Gonzales in Spain

Posted by stoptorture on April 30th, 2007

A few days after a German federal prosecutor dismissed charges against Donald Rumsfeld, Alberto Gonzales, and Co., lawyers for the victims of torture in Abu Ghraib and Guantánamo announced that they would continue the fight for justice in Spain. Reuters has the story. Der Spiegel reports that CCR‘s president, Michael Ratner, said: “There is no safe haven for Rumsfeld. … If the Germans aren’t bold enough then we’ll try in Spain.”

In a display of impeccable timing, German federal prosecutor Monika Harms dismissed the case on April 27, 2007, the eve of the third anniversary of the Abu Ghraib scandal. Even more remarkable is the fact that the press completely failed to make the connection. In her dismissal, Harms claimed there was no indication that the case against the Attorney General and former Secretary of Defense would not be investigated and tried in U.S. courts.

Three years later, impunity reigns supreme.

12 Responses to “Lawyers to File Criminal Charges against Rumsfeld, Gonzales in Spain”

1. richard Says:

Spanish people are with you.
    And maybe judge Garzon can punish Rumsfeld (I hope).
    http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltasar_Garz%C3%B3n.
    this is the judge who ave “fight” against Pinochet.
    Richard

2. Tom Says:

It would make sense that charges could and should be filed, however, these charges have an iron wall to get through.

3. Ashleigh Schreiber Says:

i’m adding your blog rss feed so that i can see your new posts. keep up the good work!

4. Lory Grinnell Says:

Its consistently great to learn guidelines such as you part targeted blog posting. As I only began posting remarks targeted blog and dealing with trouble as in lots of rejections. I think the suggestion would be useful for me. i’ll let you know if its function for me too.

5. Dallas accident attorney Says:

I hope youve got a stop! This is the most effective blogs Ive ever study. Youve got some upset skill here, man. I just hope for which you dont lose your form because youre definitely one of the coolest bloggers out furthermore there. Please keep it up since internet needs someone just like you spreading the word.

6. celular dual chip Says:

What incrible text! You’ve got some upset skill here, man. I just hope for which you dont lose your form because youre definitely one of the coolest bloggers out furthermore there and I’ll let you know if its function for me too.

7. ProMagz Says:

Thanks for the marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it. I want to encourage one to continue your great work.

8. temper tantrums Says:

Hello…..

Thank you for sharing superb informations. Your web-site is very cool. I am impressed by the details that you have on this web site. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this web page, will come back for more articles. You, my fr…

9. Rhinoplasty Directory Says:

Hmm…..

Great write-up, I am regular visitor of one’s website, maintain up the nice operate, and It’s going to be a regular visitor for a lengthy time. “There is a time for departure even when there’s no certain place to go.” by Tennessee Williams….

10. Calgary tax Says:

Wow…..

I really appreciate this post. I have been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thank you again! “All that is gold does not glitter not all those that wander are lost.” by J. R. R. Tolkien….

11. yahoo answers level 3 Says:

Hi…..

I’ve recently started a blog, the info you provide on this site has helped me tremendously. Thanks for all of your time & work. “You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand.” by Leonardo DaVinci….

12. Sell your business Says:

Wow…..

I really appreciate this post. I’ve been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You have made my day! Thank you again! “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” by Friedrich Nietzsche….