Stop Torture » Blog Archive » Waterboarding in History (Part I): Brazil’s Dictators–A lesson dedicated to Schumer and Feinstein

Stop Torture

The Harvard Anti-Torture Coalition

Waterboarding in History (Part I): Brazil’s Dictators–A lesson dedicated to Schumer and Feinstein

Posted by stoptorture on November 4th, 2007

BRAZIL: NEVER AGAIN[1]

Brasil: Nunca Mais is a study of state repression during the Brazilian military dictatorship from 1964-1985. Undertaken clandestinely by a team of lawyers, clergymen, and others, the study is based entirely on the Brazilian government’s own records of interrogations, disappearances, and other operations taken on in the name of national security. The documents were photocopied secretly until the archives of the Supreme Military Tribunal were reproduced. To date, the identity of many of the project’s participants is unknown. The book was first published in 1985, the final year of the Brazilian dictatorship. It is an abridged version of the complete work, which is over 5,000 pages long.

The Brazilian dictatorship opened Pandora’s Box on officially-sanctioned torture in 1964. Torture remains widespread and systematic in Brazil to this day.[2]

*****

Preface by Cardinal Arns, Archbishop of São Paulo (May 3, 1985)

4. What has most impressed me throughout the years of my vigilance against torture is, however, the following: how the very torturers degrade themselves.

Chapter 2: The methods and instruments of torture

So states article 5 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights signed by Brazil: No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.

In twenty years of Military Government, this principle was ignored by Brazilian authorities. Our study revealed nearly one hundred different torture techniques–using physical aggression and psychological pressure–and with the most varied of instruments applied on Brazilian political prisoners. Court documents reveal in rich detail this criminal activity done under the auspices of the State. The depositions, here partially transcribed, demonstrate the principal methods and instruments of torture adopted by the repression in Brazil.

The parrot’s perch

“… The parrot’s perch consists of an iron bar that is introduced between the bound wrists and the bends of the knees; that ‘arrangment’ is placed between two tables and the body of the tortured remains hanging 20 or 30 centimeters above the floor. This method is almost never used in isolation; its usual ‘complements’ are electroshocks, the wooden bat or club, and the drowning [waterboarding]…”[3] (emphasis added).

The drowning [waterboarding] (emphasis added)

“…The drowning is one of the ‘complements’ of the parrot’s perch. A small rubber tube is introduced into the mouth of the tortured and water then follows…”[4]

“…, and had introduced into his nostrils, into his mouth, a hose of running water, which he was forced to breathe in each time he received a charge of electric shocks;…”[5]

“drowning by means of a wet towel in the mouth: when one has almost stopped breathing, one receives a jet of water in the nostrils;…”[6]

Chapter 3: The torture of children, women, and pregnant women

[1] Brasil: Nunca Mais [Brazil: Never Again]. 34th Ed., Petropolis: Editora Vozes, 2005. (Originally published by the Archdiocese of São Paulo in 1985. [Translation by Stop Torture.]

[2] See U.N. Economic and Social Council, Commission on Human Rights, 57th sess., agenda item 11(a), Report of the Special Rapporteur, Sir Nigel Rodley, Submitted Pursuant to Commission on Human Rights Resolution 2000/43, Addendum: Visit to Brazil, U.N. Doc. E/CN.4/2001/Add.2 (2001).

[3] Augusto César Salles Galvão, student, 21 years old, Belo Horizonte; handwritten letter, 1970: BNM no. 150, V. 2, p. 448-450.

[4] Supra note 2.

[5] José Milton Ferreira de Almeida, engineer, 31 years old, Rio de Janeiro; identification and interrogation deposition, 1976: BNM no. 43, V. 2, p. 421-430.

[6] Leonardo Valentini, steelworker, 22 years old, Rio de Janeiro; identification and interrogation deposition, 1973: BNM 75, V. 5o, p. 1277.

17 Responses to “Waterboarding in History (Part I): Brazil’s Dictators–A lesson dedicated to Schumer and Feinstein”

1. Jennifer Coffey Says:

I just finish your blog and I find it amusing. Write some more in same manner. I would really like to read your next post.

2. scientology Says:

I completely love this blog 🙂 gonna have to remember to put this on my bookmarks.

3. Acai Weight Loss Formula Says:

Stop Torture » Blog Archive » Waterboarding in History (Part I): Brazil’s Dictators–A lesson dedicated to Schumer and Feinstein, is one of the most interesting articles i have read on Thursday about weight loss methods.

4. Ezequiel Schwenck Says:

Nice article but for some reason your blogs layout theme is broken in the Avant v4.25 web browser. I simply wanted to tell you…

5. Rory Sedotal Says:

And that is a lot easier to do that than it sounds. The end results will be burning more calories than you think.

6. proactol discount code Says:

Other succulents like aloe provide the active ingredients in many patented medicines and are considered safe for most people. You cannot last any longer and rush to the vending machine not a single healthy snack is on show.

7. Jospeh Filimaua Says:

Very interesting and amusing subject. I read with great pleasure. If there is nothing at all, why should your phone waste its battery frantically looking for a signal that isn’t? Manufacturers will often tell you that keeping your phone on the power outlet all the time, will lower its life unnecessarily.

8. Acne Free These Holidays? Says:

I typically don’t post, however discovered this text of great worth,

9. Kandi Gheewala Says:

Hi I love your comment and it is so informational and I am gonna save it. One thing to say the Superb analysis you have done is trully remarkable.Who goes that extra mile these days? Well Done.. Just one more tip you caninstall a Translator Application for your Worldwide Audience !!

10. Alex Darwin Says:

My neighbor and I were simply debating this particular subject, he is often seeking to prove me incorrect. Your view on this is nice and exactly how I really feel. I just now mailed him this website online to show him your own view. After wanting over your website I e book marked and might be coming again to read your new posts!

11. los angeles bankruptcy attorney Says:

1st off, get recommendations from every single individual you can honestly trust. Any friend, family, or acquaintance you hold any value in should really be asked in regards to recommendations for attorneys dealing with these instances. You will also need to check on the web for all the professionals dealing with this legal region that are accessible. The effort to find at least 4 law firms and/or representatives really should genuinely be sought out prior to in fact meeting anyone. Be sure to maintain your options open.

12. Russell Armstrong Says:

Simply desire to say your own content will be as astounding. Your clarity in the blog post was just great plus we can believe you are a specialist on that topic. Fine along with ones agreement allow us to grab your RSS feed to help maintain updated by using future post. Thanks a zillion plus why not carry on this enjoyable work.

13. Kacie Poaipuni Says:

Pra quem mora em BH, e quer um Otimo desconto em varios tipos de produtos, tenta esse maravilhoso site aqui -> http://migre.me/3RbXl

14. Kasey Hasberry Says:

Thank you yet again for an helpful post, I have an identical market so if you would love to trade backlinks make sure you emails me.

15. Duke Says:

Such a wonderful article! No idea how you were able to say this report..it’d take me weeks. Well worth it though, I’d suspect. Have you considered selling ads on your blog?

16. nfl custom jerseys coupon code Says:

Traveling, this spokesman appeared to be discussing within the tendencies that will, people in existence like the Baltimore Ravens football jerseys and that have been the superior marketing one of his or her cabinets.

17. emagrecimento bh Says:

Just what exactly turns out to be your website and in what way should i start off a person?