Stop Torture » Blog Archive » Never Forgive Schumer and Feinstein for Giving Us Mukasey

Stop Torture

The Harvard Anti-Torture Coalition

Never Forgive Schumer and Feinstein for Giving Us Mukasey

Posted by stoptorture on January 30th, 2008

Three main points in Attorney General Mukasey’s letter to Senator Leahy about waterboarding (January 29, 2008):

1) Mukasey thinks torture is okay sometimes (but we have to guess when): “If this were an easy question, I would not be reluctant to offer my views, but with respect, I believe it is not an easy question. There are some circumstances where current law would appear clearly to prohibit the use of waterboarding. Other circumstances would present a far closer question.”

2) Mukasey likes to keep his torture methods secret (legitimate interrogation programs all publish their rules): “Any answer I give could have the effect of articulating publicly — and to our adversaries — the limits and contours of generally worded laws that define the limits of a highly classified interrogation program.”

3) Mukasey thinks waterboarding could be legally approved for use again (torture at the stroke of the presidential pen): “’That process would begin with the C.I.A. director’s determination that the addition of the technique was required for the program. Then the attorney general would have to determine that the use of the technique is lawful under the particular conditions and circumstances proposed. Finally the president would have to approve of the use of the technique.”

Michael Mukasey: Keeper of the legal apparatus for the commission of war crimes

7 Responses to “Never Forgive Schumer and Feinstein for Giving Us Mukasey”

1. Felica Nakano Says:

Very efficiently written article. It will be helpful to everyone who usess it, as well as yours truly :). Keep doing what you are doing – i will definitely read more posts.

2. James Mcleod Says:

You ought to essentially think about getting engaged on creating this weblog into a serious authority on this market. You evidently have a grasp of the matters everyone is searching for on this website anyhow and you may certainly even earn a buck or two off of some advertisements. I’d explore following current subjects and raising the quantity of write ups you set up and I assure you’d start seeing some wonderful targeted visitors within the close to future. Only a thought, good luck in no matter you do!

3. Vernia Vondohlen Says:

I carry on listening to the news broadcast talk about getting free online grant applications so I have been looking around for the top site to get one. Could you tell me please, where could i get some?

4. Caterina Taintor Says:

Great goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely excellent. I really like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it wise. I can’t wait to read far more from you. This is actually a wonderful web site.

5. kızoyunlarıoyna Says:

Greatwonderfully blog! I am starting out with my blog, bingand I decided to learn about readership tthank you so so so much for this article 3d oyunlar

6. Sung Giacchino Says:

Hello there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it’s truly informative. I’m going to watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future. A lot of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

7. ROI Unlimited Says:

In other words, through rich, digital means of “complexifying” learning such as blogging—at its best collaborative, reflective, and emergent authoring and creation—learners cannot and should not be zombies. And neither should we.