The sleek Blackberry Curve 8320

10

I recently upgraded my old Blackberry to the new Blackberry Curve and my instant reaction was –“wow, what an upgrade”.  The main reason for switching was the UMA/WiFi capabilities of the device, as I always had troubles getting a good wireless signal from my home – this now allows me to use my Internet WiFi connection to place calls via my mobile phone.  Setting this up was quite simple to do.

blackberry-curve.jpg

What I was really impressed with was the the actual design of the phone.  Sleek, elegant and small -the size of the Curve is much smaller (2.4” x 4.2” x 0.6”) than the older generation Blackberries and the resolution was amazing – the display is 320 x 240 pixels /2” x 1.5”/over 65k colors.  The proportions were well balanced – they got the design and UI right with this.  

Regarding the functionality, I find the GoogleTalk quite handy while I’m on the road for those that need to get a hold of me, without burning up voice minutes or text message.  In fact most of the major IM providers were available.  The phone is a QuadBand (850/900/1800/1900), with a 2 megapixel camera, music/video player, Bluetooth, IM , speakerphone and microSD memory slot – all nice features of the phone.  The trackball in the center was something I had to get use to but after a little while of use, it actually felt ergonomically better than the old scroll bar on the right.   I still don’t like the calendar tool for the Blackberry as it is quite cumbersome to find and enter information – it actually hasn’t changed from the old UI.  One thing to keep in mind is that while the Curve is suppose to have GPS capabilities, it is dependent on the carrier – unfortunately T-Mobile in the US doesn’t provide it so that was disappointment.  However, overall, I’m quite satisfied with the upgrade. Although it would be nice to get my iTunes on the device.  

1. sal

October 2, 2007 @ 5:55 pm

1

I quite like the look of the device myself – at somepoint we need to be able to integrate the various functions with one another – itune services with blackberry.

2. Adam Denison

October 3, 2007 @ 3:45 pm

2

Interesting post. I’m still resisting the Blackberry craze! Do you think Blackberry is in danger with the emergence of the iPhone?

Feel free to let me know if there’s anything GM can provide for you in your posts. Later!

3. sunnyahn

October 4, 2007 @ 12:22 am

3

this is always an interesting question. The key for me comes down to usability. While the iPhone has changed the paradigm in phone design, it really is a consumer based phone. As a business/email device, the blackberry, for me, is more suitable. thanks for your note Adam.

4. Sally Smith

October 4, 2007 @ 12:24 am

4

what are your thoughts when the iPhone (via ATT) gets 3G capable in 2008?

5. blackberry device - The sleek Blackberry Curve 8320

October 28, 2007 @ 6:04 am

5

[…] I recently upgraded my old Blackberry to the new Blackberry Curve and my instant reaction was –“wow, what an upgrade”. The main reason for switching was the UMA/WiFi capabilities of the device, as I always had troubles getting a good … by sunnyahn at 3:30 AM […]

6. Jason

May 13, 2008 @ 5:28 pm

6

Does anyone have a problem with the scroll ball? My sensitivity on the select button is very high and sometimes it even spaz out on me. it selects multiple times even when im not touching it.

Please help me solve this problem.

Tahnks.

7. Unlocked Blackberry

October 12, 2008 @ 11:41 am

7

Don’t forget that you can get these unlocked. They even have the unlocked BlackBerry bold for sale.

8. Stuartc

December 22, 2008 @ 4:56 am

8

I love the BlackBerry Curve im just upgrading to the new BlackBerry Storm touch screen. I hope its as good as my curve

The curve was and still is a fantastic device just love it hope i have not made a mastake maybe i should have waited for the new curve to come out!!!

9. Folding Tables

March 18, 2011 @ 7:38 pm

9

I see that there are now a number of new BlackBerry Curves coming out cannot wait

10. How To Unlock Blackberry

March 29, 2012 @ 9:42 am

10

your blackberry is old fashion.. you need a new one with unlocked provider .. it really help if you travelling