The Brothers Grimm at Cumberland Lodge

Can Stories of Abuse Build Healthy Societies?

Starts on 24/03/2014
at 10:00
Ends on 25/03/2014
at 15:30

The Brothers Grimm regarded their tales, many of which are violent and disturbing, as character-building. Others see them as dangerous and harmful; it was even argued that they fuelled Nazism. This two day multi-disciplinary conference brings together a wealth of expertise to consider the value of storytelling, and in particular whether the reworking of traditional tales by the Brothers Grimm and others can be a force for good. The conference will explore issues including psychotherapy and child abuse, and the impact of storytelling through literature, cinema, theatre, and music.

Speakers confirmed to date

• Nick Bicât, composer
  • Mary Leay, musician
  • Karen Lury, Professor of Film and Television Studies, School of Culture and Creative Arts, University of Glasgow
  • Edmund Newell, Principal, Cumberland Lodge
  • Philip Ridley, writer and film-maker
  • Jeany Spark, actress (subject to availability)
  • Tim Supple, theatre director
  • Maria Tatar, John L. Loeb Professor of Folklore and Mythology, Harvard University
  • Judith Trowell, child and adolescent psychiatrist; Co-founder, Young Minds
  • Salley Vickers, novelist

3 thoughts on “The Brothers Grimm at Cumberland Lodge

1. Sorry that this may not be the right place to post this but for nearly two years I have been looking out for this publication referred to by The Economist in their article The Anti-Grimm dated 4 Apr 2012: Prinz Rosszwifl (Prince Dung Beetle), published by Ms Eichenseer, is being translated by Ms Tatar and Jack Zipes, another eminent folklorist.

I wondered if it has, or is about to, come to fruition, please?

2. How I wish I could join you! It’s a promise for two interesting days of sharing opinions, points of view and experience!
    We met in Lisbon, Mrs. Tatar, again in discussing Brothers Grimms’ fairytales!
    Wishing you all the best!
    Rossitsa from Bulgaria

3. Dear Maria,

This sounds terrific. Wonderful topic. Oh, to be there.

I’m finishing my March Barking Planet blog in which I excerpt from you on the Breezes and the New Yorker on Schonwerth. I’ll let you know when it’s posted.
    Best wishes,
    Robert McCarty