For IIW next week, Craig Burton and I have been working on a prototype demonstrating EmanciPay, using ListenLog on the Public Radio Player app from PRX. The description at the EmanciPay link is minimal so far, but the model has a great deal of promise, because what it puts forward is a new business model for all kinds of stuff: easy voluntary payments from anybody for anything, to escrow accounts where the money can be picked up by the intended recipient with no strings attached. The first target is public radio (as it has been, ever since the earliest ProjectVRM meetings at the Berkman Center), but it could easily apply to newspapers and other media as well.
We still need financial institutions to weigh in and take up a new business model for themselves, and it would be cool if some of them showed up at IIW next week for that, but in any case we’re taking one small step in the direction of a major sea change in the way markets for media work.
I’ve been making test contributions to different public radio stations, using the EmanciPay prototype. Craig has hacked a way for this to show up in my Twitter stream. You can see those here.
- Declining Resources For Journalism eschatonblog.com)
- Breaking out your core assumptions giffconstable.com)
- ListenLog (ProjectVRM blog)
- NPR prepares for a new reality politico.com)
- A simple lesson learned from Steve Jobs chron.com)
- R-Buttons and the Open Marketplace blogs.law.harvard.edu)
- EmanciPay (ProjectVRM blog)