I used this list during my khatira during the 27th night of Ramadan taraweeh service at Georgetown, and thought it would be beneficial to promote here:
There are ten useless matters:
- Knowledge that is not acted on
- The deed that has neither sincerity nor is based on following the righteous examples of others
- Money that is hoarded, as the owner neither enjoys it during this life nor obtains any reward for it in the Hereafter
- The heart that is empty of love and longing for God, and of seeking closeness to Him
- A body that does not obey and serve God
- Loving Allah without following His orders or seeking His pleasure
- Time that is not spent in expiating sins or seizing opportunities to do good
- A mind that thinks about useless matters
- Serving those who do not bring you close to God, nor benefit you in your life
- Hoping and fearing whoever is under the authority of God in His hand; while he cannot bring any benefit or harm to himself, nor death, nor life; nor can he resurrect himself.
However the greater of these matters are wasting the heart and wasting time.