Effective privacy disclosure on photo-sharing sites

2

On the heels of some discussion about whether disclosure notices can actually work, I encountered this example of what I view as effective “fine print”: while exploring Kodak Gallery’s new slide.com feature (which allows you to export slideshows from your Kodak Gallery albums to other photo and social networking sites on the Web — Flickr, Photobucket, Facebook, etc.), I saw this message:

Remember that any pictures you include in a Slide.com slideshow can be viewed and used by visitors to slide.com and other websites where you publish your slideshow, according to those websites’ terms. Please use care when deciding what pictures you include and where you publish your slideshow.

I think one thing that makes it effective is its use of non-legalese — it reads like another person is gently warning you to proceed ahead with some caution. Good job, Slide.com

1. bepa

April 6, 2008 @ 5:26 pm

1

I also like the lack of legalese… however it seems almost like they are trying to make a morality decision?

No one wants to see photos from me partying on the weekends?

2. mpollock

April 6, 2008 @ 5:31 pm

2

Maybe saying “please keep this in mind when deciding what pictures you include” would be less judgment-laden than “please use care”? And then you wouldn’t feel so looked down upon for wanting to liberally share your partying photos?

Or maybe not…