Facebook: Your One-Stop Shop for Web Updates

3

Two announcements this week indicate that Facebook is on its way to becoming even more of an update site than it already is. First, Facebook is going to integrate updates from Flickr, Yelp, Picasa, and Delicious into the News Feed. Second, Six Apart, former owner of Live Journal, has developed a Facebook App called Blog It, which will let you update your Facebook status, Twitter, Blogger, WordPress, and LiveJournal all at once. I find the first announcement very exciting. But I also found it surprising given Facebook’s increasingly strong position in the market for on-line photo sharing. Why increase the visibility of Flickr and Picasa to Facebook users that currently use Facebook to share photos? Evidently Facebook thinks they can expand their audience and uses to a wider population, but I think they risk losing their core users to other sites.

1. bepa

April 17, 2008 @ 10:24 am

1

I think this might be a wise choice on Facebook’s behalf. Though opening up their site to competing sites such as Flickr, Facebook actually will create an environment that provides all the uses that people want in one spot.

We can see this strategy with Apple when they announced that their computers would now be using Intel chips and would be able to run Windows. The thought is that the market share will increase because people will use their product knowing that they can do many things with it, and wouldn’t be limited by some fundamental architecture. As someone who uses an Apple computer, though I think it’s great that I could run Windows if I want (and this was a consideration when I decided to buy a Mac), I have never once done it.

Maybe Facebook realises we just want to know we can, but that we actually won’t.

2. skass

April 19, 2008 @ 2:12 pm

2

I think the difference is that Facebook is a dominant player in the online photo sharing biz, at least within the digital native demographic. It has 85% market share among students at four-year universities. See http://www.facebook.com/press/info.php?statistics. By contrast, Apple has somewhere between 5 and 10% of the personal computing market. See http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36990/118/. Apple has much more to gain (and much less to lose) by making its computers capable of running Windows.

3. PageRank Booster

May 15, 2008 @ 10:54 pm

3

I think FaceBook should not be utilized for business,

I love friendster the way it was not monetized.. but now adays. it is just disgusting..

just my thoughts