[Last updated: May 2020]
Identity Exploration and Formation: The ability to use (digital) tools to explore elements of one’s identity, and understand how the communities one is part of shape one’s identity.
While we are currently not working on a concrete publication in this space, we have spoken about the dynamics of this area at different events and in the media, and have explored emerging ways youth are experimenting with identity exploration (e.g., through the creation of multiple Instagram accounts).
Against this backdrop, we would be delighted to explore possible collaborations around identity exploration and formation; please don’t hesitate to email us if you would be interested in examining this space further together.
- Born Digital: How Children Grow Up in a Digital Age (Chapter 1: Identities)
Key learning resources:
These learning resources are available in over 35 languages! To view the translations, for each resource, please scroll down to “All Languages.” Additional languages will be added over time.
To learn about how to navigate our Digital Citizenship+ (Plus) Resource Platform — home to an evolving collection of 100+ educational tools (e.g., learning experiences, visualizations, podcasts) that can be used to learn and teach about youth’s digitally connected lives — please see the following slidedeck, presented at RightsCon Tunis 2019. The presentation also offers helpful tips in terms of adapting the tools to your context.
- How Youth Are Reinventing Instagram and Why Having Multiple Accounts is Trending
- [Video] Born Digital: Identities
In the media:
- August 2019: Sie hat die digitale Jugend im Blick
- December 2018: Ihr Untersuchungsobjekt: Generation Instagram
- October 2018: It’s not like we adults can handle it perfectly either
- February 2018: Ueber das Potenzial der Digitalen Welt [English translation]
(For more information, please email Sandra Cortesi.)
- July 2019: Keynote, “Youth, Personal Data, and Social Media”, VII International Conference for the Protection of Personal Data, organized by the Superintendence of Industry and Commerce, Cartagena, Colombia