Better Bad News is at it again

Oh those naughty (clever) people at Better Bad News

Have you checked out their latest video, Al Franken’s 2008 Senate Bid Considered A Joke To Traditional Minnesota Progressives? Sad, poignant, but still funny. Here’s some dialogue, as per my transcription:

David the Moderator [lecturing]: “Now Betty, … if the parties were not able to jigger the vote ([sotto voce:]…and both parties do it), third parties would eventually rise to win seats, … and a green party could emerge, …and that could split the left…”

Betty the Panelist: “So let’s put the Democratic Party’s feet to the fire, at least. That’s how third parties work. But if they can’t even threaten to split the left, there’s no way to advance progressive politics in this country. [nostalgic:] …I remember oppositon parties. I do. It was great. [determined:] And we need it again.”

Mantra the second panelist: “It’s the Patriot Act, stupid.”

Kinda sums it up, don’t it? From Clinton’s “it’s the economy, stupid” to Bush et alia’s “it’s the patriot act, stupid”?

1. That one had a significant edge to it.

But what Betty said was absolutely dead on. Time to fry toes. Yup, time to fry toes.

Comment by Shelley — July 17, 2005 #

2. I agree. Sometimes it’s hard to tell with BBN whether they’re being serious or making fun of earnest (but misguided?) sentiment (remember Panelist David B. saying, “if downloading software is criminalised, only criminals will download software” [verbatim], which was such a take-off on “if guns are criminalised, only criminals will have guns” [verbatim]?), but I think Betty was shooting straight this time. Well, I like Betty — she’s cool. 😉

Comment by Yule Heibel — July 17, 2005 #