Pulled post

I just deleted an entry. Saved it in drafts, though.

1. So, what was in the post? Why did you delete it? Hmmm? Busybody webloggers want to know.

Comment by Shelley — September 15, 2005 #

2. Well, I was so depressed and angry over Orcmid‘s response in your comments board to Change Starts at Home (his unbelievable “… the thread has taken on a righteous life of its own. It’s embarrassing to witness this”) that I wrote a post about how I couldn’t bear to respond to the way he had cut off conversation (I called it, sarcastically, “News Alert! Older white man is embarrassed!” because, following his links, I noticed he was not some young immature snot nose, which was my first impression, but a man in his mid-60s), but then I saw that you were replying, that subsequently he was replying, and so on, and I thought, ok, Shelley can handle this, maybe I should be able to, also.

But I tell ya’ — his comment really really pissed me off. Big time. I don’t have to explain myself because you people embarrass me — oooh, that’s so obnoxious.

Comment by Yule Heibel — September 15, 2005 #

3. Yule, I was pissed last night. And tired. But you know, that was a good thread, with a lot to think on. I’m not going to demean it, or allow it to be demeaned.

It’s interesting but the Suzanne who responded in it wrote in Nancy White’s post that she thought it was a vicious, horrid thread. I had to go re-read it I was so surprised. She wrote in her second weblog post, but her co-organizer didn’t agree. Or didn’t see it as such. In fact he thought that it would be a good discussion by itself — why did she think so.

So, I think it was good in the end. As for orcmid, regardless of what he thinks or not, I have nothing to be embarrassed about in the thread, and hopefully no one else feels that way.

But I still curious as to why folks thought I was a) insulting them and b) the thread was ‘vicious’. What was vicious?

4. I thought you handled your responses to him with remarkable equanimity, grace, and generosity. Really.

I haven’t seen / followed the other threads (Suzanne, et al.), but I am flabbergasted that anyone would see your post or the discussion that took place in your comments board as vicious, personal, or embarrassing. I seriously wanted to write something about how people can’t seem to read properly, but then thought, what the hey, they don’t get it. If anyone — anyone — set the tone for personal attack in that thread it was Suw, who threw down a challenge and then walked away. Would it have been so hard for her to come back and say, “oops, I guess I missed noticing a few people”?

Even then it wouldn’t have been any personal skin off her personal nose — it would simply have been a way to say, “ok, things could be done differently, and maybe next time we follow up on that.” So I was really upset by orcmid’s stupid suggestion (continuing in the subsequent comments he left, after you responded to him) that people had jumped on Suw. Heck, I spent real time revising my comments (before I posted them) to make sure that I wasn’t being personal — because I really could care less about getting personal here. It’s the effing principle I care about, for heaven’s sake. But I guess that’s “righteous,” eh? Geez… I’m shaking my head, I really am. Maybe Kurt Vonnegut (as per John Stewart’s Daily Show) is right and we are just a virus and deserve to go under.

I don’t know how anyone could suggest, even obliquely, that there was anything “insulting,” personal, or “vicious” in your post or in how you responded to how the thread developed.