Trying out Scribd.com, and getting my print articles online

Ok, one down — or “up(loaded),” actually — and four to go…

Via the fabulous and easy-to-use Scribd, here’s an online PDF of my March 2008 article, published in FOCUS Magazine, Victorian Fables: Does Victoria have an urban planning blindspot?

I’m going to take another day or two to get the others up, alas.  First I have figure out how merge two separatly scanned pages into one document before uploading to Scribd.

Sometimes the simplest challenges manage to knock me sideways…

1. Scribbed is cool, but I have to admit I am used to the font smoothing that Apple’s preview usually provides when viewing a PDF. With this I had to zoom in a fair bit to be able to read it. Small complaint, glad to see the articles online – that’s the important part!

Comment by Davin — July 18, 2008 #

2. Thanks, Davin. Yes, the PDF looks fuzzy and illegible unless you zoom in, but for all I know that could be something I’m doing wrong at my end? Not sure. I do realize now, however, that in an attempt to get a nice, clearly legible PDF scanned for the ones I uploaded to my Harvard pages, I created monsters. The other day I wanted to click through to one of them and it just wouldn’t load. Why? Because I scanned it (and the others) at 600 dpi and with high quality. Big mistake. The PDF pans out to a size of over 60×70 inches, if it were printed. Geez, that was stupid of me, eh? So now the plan is to re-scan all those PDFs I uploaded to Harvard/ Berkman, scan at lower quality, and then I’ll upload them to Scribd, and also take the old Harvard/Berkman ones down and point to Scribd instead. It’ll be a stupid make-work project for sure, but right now those PDFs on the Berkman server are useless because they’re too huge. At least I think that’s the problem…! 😉

Comment by Yule — July 19, 2008 #