The Sunday Diigo Links Post (weekly)

• Love this catalog/ summary by Mark Coddington.

During my recent bout of civic activism with the JohsonStreetBridge.ORG awareness initiative campaign I helped found last July, a huge chunk of my unhappiness and subsequent (still, alas, enduring) depression stemmed from the fact that for a variety of complex reasons, I found myself forced to betray most of the principles listed by Coddington. It still breaks my heart, and perhaps it’s the everlasting testament, when all is said and done, for why Victoria BC will never, ever get a clue. In this town, people still play by the old media rules. And that can only mean that, really, there’s absolutely no room for me. Anyway, read Coddington’s primer – he links to good stuff.
    QUOTE
    “When I dove into the future-of-journalism world, I quickly found that a few of these phrases function as shorthand for big, fundamental ideas. (…)

Consider this your dictionary for those phrases.”
    UNQUOTE

tags: mark_coddington, new_media_shift, newspapers

• Wow… I love this! What an amazing piece:
    QUOTE
    “In this interactive sculpture, thousands of recycled keyboard keys are embedded into a continuous textile. The keys spell out a line-by-line transcript of the email correspondence between the artist and fabricators regarding the creation of the artwork. As a result, the sculpture documents its own making. Viewers can also type their own messages on the active keys amid the first three rows of emails. These new messages are then projected onto the opposite end of the fabric, thereby continuing the virtual dialogue. The project speaks to the pervasiveness of email in our lives while commenting on the fact that, despite the modern technology of virtual communication, our written language is linked to the tactile sensation of moving our fingers over an outmoded typewriter system.”
    UNQUOTE

tags: jean_shin, textile, sculpture, art

• Excellent must-see Washington DC Ignite presentation by Alex Lundry on data visualization and using charts (“chart wars”).

tags: alex_lundry, targetpoint, data_visualization

• “There is a craftsperson in everyone, according to Richard Sennett. But don’t spend too much time plumbing your psyche for a latent woodworker, quilter, or metalsmith. Craftsmanship, according to Sennett, a sociologist at New York University and the London School of Economics, both includes and eclipses the endeavors that might jump to mind. It is an “enduring, basic human impulse, the desire to do a job well for its own sake,” he writes. It’s also an impulse that contemporary culture, with its obsessive embrace of efficiency, financial reward, and the bottom line, has devalued—to its own detriment.”

tags: richard_sennett, utne_reader, crafting

Posted from Diigo. The rest of my favorite links are here.

No Comments yet