Amateur food porn for Pi Day

Earlier today, I posted photos of a coffee cake I made this afternoon. This evening I made pizza (a staple around here), and decided to take photos of that, too. And post them to my Picasa account – with commentary/ instructions.

~

Each photo on this page is click-able, and I added comments for each stage.

Call it amateur food porn, but here’s how I do it… 😉

On those photo pages I left out the steps for making the dough, however, so I’ll add them now.

I like a thin crust pizza myself, but everyone’s different – which is why I didn’t put a recipe for dough on the photos page. You can probably go to your local bakery and buy some dough (I know I can do this at Bubby Rose‘s, for example).

My pizza dough is pretty basic:

3 cups of flour, 1 cup of water, some yeast, some sugar, a bit of salt, and olive oil.

Proof the yeast with the water [heated to lukewarm], add a bit of sugar. Once the yeast is puffy, add a tablespoon or so of olive oil, some salt, and start adding the flour bit by bit. Stir, then knead [I use a Kitchen Aid], keep it up and going for a while. If you can, make the dough a while ahead of time, which makes for a chewier dough since it “develops” more. That’s all. Easy as …pie.

1. Oh, that looks lovely. Thank you!

Comment by Cheryl — March 14, 2010 #

2. Thanks, Cheryl – it’s really easy to make pizza if you have the peel and a stone and an oven at 500 degrees F. 😉

Comment by Yule — March 15, 2010 #

3. The Italian deli on Blanshard sells a good pizza cheese that’s similar to mozzarella but good for slight change. But I forget its name. If you ask, they’ll tell you.

Comment by robert randall — March 18, 2010 #

4. Good to know, that deli has excellent stuff – I’ll have to remember their pizza cheese for when I run out of mozzarella. (I usually buy these huge blocks of part-skim/ low-moisture mozza at Costco and then cut into portions and freeze. Cheese freezes well.)

Comment by Yule — March 19, 2010 #

5. I love a good pizza.

Comment by Marty Gates — March 22, 2010 #