Short order cooking

Some days… (Too many, as far as I’m concerned…)

Cooking for three other people (a foursome, when I include myself) can get complex.

This one likes scallops.

Another two don’t.

But one of the scallop-haters does like shrimp, while another likes neither.

Two despise asparagus. Totally loathe it.

Those two don’t overlap completely with the scallop-haters, though.

Three think that having omelets as a supper side dish is gross. With a 3-against-4 ratio, the omelet was definitively – duh-fee-nee-tive-ly – nixed. No eggs. (Thank gods.)

All four appreciate a good risotto – as long as it isn’t made with mushrooms (which two would veto <sigh>)…

Oh, sigh <again>.

Best bet? Cook a bunch of small dishes, with maybe a big filler dish in the middle.

.

1. Gosh, I thought we had problems.

Comment by robert randall — May 18, 2010 #

2. I won’t eat red meat while Elias will eat slabs of it. Shannon loves oysters, which don’t appeal. It’s tough finding things we all like (and are healthy, inexpensive and simple to prepare).

3. Of course, there’s always:

http://whatthefuckshouldimakefordinner.com/

4. LOL, love the whatthefuckshouldimakefordinner.com site! I got Lamb chops with pomegranate relish (I guess that’s today’s menu). Hm, I could handle that, but Werner would flip. Of course, then there’s the Monty Python version of dinner (or breakfast or lunch or snack) menus: SPAM, SPAM, and SPAM. With SPAM. 😉

Comment by Yule — May 18, 2010 #

5. O yes, how well I know that particular drill. On won’t eat anything raw, so salads are out, while another lives on salads. One won’t eat lamb, but will eat chicken. Another will eat certain vegetables, and the other will eat only asparagus for cooked greens. Some nights it ends up being “make your own frigging dinner then” … like tonight, when I went to the shooting range after yoga class. Of course, then, when I got home, I had to make my own frigging dinner too — and mine featured chickpeas too!

Comment by maria — May 19, 2010 #

6. What? Wait! You go to the shooting range? To shoot? Guns or pistols? I’m jealous – that’s something I’d love to learn how to do!
    .
    Of course I’m having cognitive dissonance, keeping the following image(s) in my head: you go to yoga (which you practice diligently), you’re a vegetarian (or mostly so), …and you shoot! Whoa, that’s so cool! 🙂

Comment by Yule — May 19, 2010 #

7. Yep, it was my first time at the shooting range, though I had used a hunting rifle ages ago in BC, but only to shoot at cans.

One of my yoga buddies dragged me off to the shooting range tonight. I used my friend’s revolver, while our other friend (our Pilates teacher, whom we first dragged off to our yoga class) was learning to shoot a rifle. I am going to write a post about it. She told me that she usually shoots better after yoga, because she is both more relaxed and more focused in an odd way. By the way, it was ladies’ night at the shooting range, so the whole experience had a certain tinge of a Las Vegas to it, too.

Comment by maria — May 20, 2010 #

8. I plain hate cooking, that why I eat most of the week. If I am cooking for guests I try to have lots of different things to make everyone happy.

Comment by Heath — May 20, 2010 #

9. I tend to just create things based on whatever we have in the kitchen.

Cooking can be so much fun – especially when people enjoy what you make.

Comment by Jesse James — May 20, 2010 #