Ranting about Twitter

I wish Twitter had privacy settings, like Flickr. For instance, some things you only want to share with certain people and some things you want to keep to yourself. Well, you may ask, why would one need Twitter if he is just twitter for himself? Although I’m sure there are a lot of people who put a lot of thought into their tweets, but for many, they are just brief, fleeting thoughts that represent what was going through your mind at that particular time. In retrospect, some tweets may look childish or contain inappropriate content that would not have been a problem at the time of the tweet. Tweets are also very ephemeral and because they cover a train of thought, I feel like opening up one’s tweets the public makes a stronger statement about the individual than he or she would like. The lack of “private tweets” also discourages many people from being frank about their feelings online.

I am only following 15 people on Twitter- 10 of them rarely post anything- but it’s still difficult to keep up with the Twitter feeds. Then there are blogs, Flickr feeds. Facebook… (sigh)