Monday, March 31st, 2014...10:35 pm

Sama & Ecstasy

Jump to Comments

The Sufi practice of sama produces ecstasy in the participant. An ecstasy unique to the practice itself. This ecstasy is different than what we know because of its religious context. Sama is the religious practice of Sufism that drives the participant to listen deeply to music and through their concentration, achieve an ultimate oneness–ecstasy–with god.

I have interpreted this basic definition of the sama practice as a kind of meditation. Through music, Sufis may achieve a clarity and oneness with the world similar to that of Buddhists. Of course, these practices are special to their religions and I practice neither. Therefore, as an outside observer I interpret the practice and make it my own. This digitally manipulated image is my representation of of the ecstasy sama produces. The horizontal landscape has a background of many blended colors; through this ambiguous background I hoped to represent the mystical level the practice may produce. The image is mainly composed of a copied, manipulated image. A took a self-portrait of myself in a submissive pose (to show submission to god), sitting cross-legged in a way similar to that of basic meditation. This image is repeated in the image to show different stages of who I am and will become through stages of ecstasy. The pictures vary from blurred to colored. You may view how different the picture becomes from the original–the image in the center surrounded by light. This central image represents the luminosity achieved once ecstasy is reached. The light may be outwardly emitted but the levels of ecstasy and growth as a person remain within.

Through the sama experience, who you are changes and reality is transcended–perhaps we are many as well as one with the world at this point: one real but many in spirit. This image is my attempt to express this sentiment.