Dr. Aminu Gamawa is a legal professional, teacher, and policy expert. He has worked across a wide range of organisations in the private and public sectors that include corporations, government agencies, educational institutions and nonprofit entities.
He is known for his expert and knowledgeable contributions on issues ranging from conflict resolution and community development to National Security. His expertise has been sought out in advising on major issues across various countries around the world. Dr. Gamawa’s collaborative approach and creative problem solving to complex and sensitive issues of legal, community, and policy matters are well known and widely praised.
Dr. Gamawa holds a Master’s and Doctorate degree in law from Harvard Law School at Harvard University; one of the preeminent centres of legal education in the world, LL.B. from the University of Maiduguri, and a BL from the Nigerian Law School, Lagos. While at Harvard, he was the Coordinator of the Harvard Law School Graduate Forum (2011-2014) and a Teaching Fellow. He is a certified Mediator with the Harvard Mediation Program. Dr. Gamawa also received special training on conflict resolution from the University of Massachusetts, Central European University, and the School of International Training, Vermont, USA.
Dr. Gamawa currently teaches Ethics and Professional Responsibility; Social Justice and Public Interest Law; and Public International Law at Baze University in Abuja. He is an active member of the Nigerian Bar Association and Secretary of its Legal Profession Regulation Review Committee. He is the CEO of Abuja-based Gamawa Consulting Services, a management consulting firm providing quality research, training, and strategic services to governments, NGOs, donors, INGOs, and other businesses.
Dr. Gamawa is also a regular commentator on BBC, VOA, DW, Aljazeera, and other local and international media. He has presented dozens of academic and professional papers at local and international conferences.
- Senior Fellow, Weinstein International Foundation (Starting 2019)
- 2012-2013 International & Comparative Law Program of Study Fellow, Harvard Law School
- 2012 Summer Cravath Fellow, Harvard Law School Graduate Program, USA
- 2011-2012 Graduate Fellow, Harvard Law School Graduate Program, USA
- 2011 Grand Challenge Canada Grant on Saving Lives at Birth, Canada
- 2011 Nominated for the Archbishop Desmond Tutu Fellowship
- 2010-2011 Weinstein International Fellow on Dispute Resolution, USA
- 2010 Summer Peacebuilding Fellow, SIT Graduate Institute, Vermont, USA
- 2009-2011 Leadership Development Mechanism Fellow, DRPC, Kano, Nigeria
- 2008 Summer Exchange Fellow US Department of State at University of Massachusetts, Boston
- 2006-2007 Emerging Leaders Development Fellow of Pathfinder International and Macarthur Foundation
- 2007 Fellow, African Leadership Forum (Democratic Leadership Training Workshop)
RESEARCH INTERESTS/TEACHING AND CURRENT PROJECTS
Law and Globalization; Law and Development; Law Reform; Legal Profession; International Law; International Trade; International Human Rights; Dispute Resolution (Arbitration, Negotiation and Mediation); Jurisprudence; Gender and Family Law; Terrorism; Countering Violent Extremism; and National Security.
International Law; International Human Rights; Ethics and Professional Responsibility; Comparative Law; Legal Profession; Family law; Constitutional law; Jurisprudence; and Clinical Courses.
- Other Subjects: Customized Seminars, Workshops and Reading Groups
Hausa (Native), English (Fluent), Arabic (Working level), Kanuri (Conversation)
- Member, Nigerian Bar Association
- Member, International Bar Association
- Member, Civil Liberties Organization, Nigeria
- Member, Law and Society Association
- Member, Mediators without Boarder