Benlog

crypto and public policy

Rewriting History

Filed under: General February 9, 2004 @ 9:02 pm

It’s one thing to make mistakes. We all make mistakes, and I probably make more than my share. It’s a whole different thing to refuse to admit one’s mistakes.

I admit it, I read Instapundit to find out what others are thinking. Most of the time, I simply disagree with Glenn Reynolds. He has one way of looking a the world, and most of the time he’s consistent, and I just happen to disagree with his view of the world.

But what really bugs me is when Glenn and his blogger friends misrepresent history in order to appear infallible. Like this obsession with saying that Bush never claimed the Iraq threat was “imminent.” Come on! Okay, maybe Bush was misled by poor intelligence… I don’t believe it, but at least that would be a consistent argument. But to deny things said on public record? What is the point? Isn’t the Iraqi “imminent threat” the reason we went to war so quickly? Isn’t that why we couldn’t wait for inspectors to finish their job?

I don’t even need to argue the simple logic here, because the Center for American Progress has the facts. “The Iraqi regime is a threat of unique urgency” said Bush in October 2002. And that’s just one of many many quotations on public record from Bush and his staff.

Glenn, do yourself a favor: admit that you’re fallible.

No Comments