Moskva, toska

red square2.jpg

I know I said I wouldn’t blog about Russia, as I did not want any perceprtion of bias, particularly where the breathtakingly beautiful Leningrad (St. Petersburg) and the virtually uninhabitable Moscow are concerned. So this is not really a post, more of note.

Moscow did nothing to redeem itself in my eyes when I had to spend days (including, I am not kidding, an all-nighter) looking for a room under 800 dollars.  Though I eventually succeeded and even sort of enjoyed the sunny days wandering around Moskva (the weather was amazing the entire time Brian and Ben were here in Russia, and got cold and rainy the second they left,) I was very happy to  get back to the other capital.  But Moscow does have one great feature – it’s amazing metro:       

вук.JPG 

Metro station Partizanskaya, dedicated to the civilians who fought in WWII.

moscow metro.jpg

Аня 

P.S. While I am not one to defend anything Moscow, I have to take issue with Ben’s characterization of some of the world’s most opulent treasures from the Kremlin armoury as “pretty baubles.”  I mean, at the time one of those pearl and diamond encrusted robes could buy you a dozen villages of indentures servants.

180px-Greatimperialcrown.jpg

lillies.jpg

bauble                                                                 

treasure

P.P.S.  How can I not love Pushkin desserts? 

pushkin desserts1.jpg