Nightline Segment on Blogging to Air Tonight

5

According to Nightliine’s e-mail highlighting the next show, tonight’s (Tuesday, 3/8) show will be about blogging. It will probably contain some footage of the meeting they attended.

From the e-mail:

"Tonight, correspondent John Donvan will tell the story about a high school teacher whose blog led to political change in her state. Tonight’s piece is a fascinating one. Turns out that as John and producer Elissa Rubin were conducting interviews with bloggers, they were being blogged.* The bloggers had some interesting opinions, to say the least."

Will it be better than Steve’s video? Will it show our weblog? Will the sound of j’s typing drown out what everyone says?

*Just for the record, they told us we could blog about them being at the meeting. It’s not like we were doing it on the sly.

Addendum 3/9: Nightline did indeed show their segment on bloggers finally. They did a great job of showing just about everyone in the room and missing that baby food stain on Lisa’s sweater. I laughed when they showed vlogger Steve Garfield, whom you might remember from such publications as The New York Times and The Boston Globe, filming the Nightline crew.

A video excerpt from another segment is floating around the blogosphere, according Tara L.

Nightline Segment on Blogging to Air Tonight …

1. Erica

March 8, 2005 @ 4:01 pm

1

Definitely we’ll need to save some time in this week’s agenda for the debrief. Oh, the meta!

PS – I feel as if we should have some sort of “we’re (possibly) on teeveeee!” drinking game. Along the lines of, take a shot if any one of us is shown talking more than once; if footage of Steve vlogging the camera crew is shown; etc.

2. j

March 8, 2005 @ 4:08 pm

2

Well, I have vodka I can donate to a good cause …

Er, I mean, ha ha ha! What a great idea!

A swig for each of my keystrokes …

The one who’s still sober enough to blog coherently when the show ends wins.

3. J. Dunn

March 9, 2005 @ 1:21 am

3

Jeez, I only say one thing the whole meeting, and it leads the damned show? (with whatever of substance I actually had to say cut out, of course) And they quote my blog too? I guess I know the formula, whatever it is. I’m kinda wishing I had adopted j’s hiding strategy at this point, though at least they didn’t make me look like an asshole on national tv by linking my name/picture to my tossed-off remark about the host.

4. j

March 9, 2005 @ 1:35 am

4

**giggle**

Since you just did it, they don’t have to.

But I guess I kinda did it first. I suppose I should have asked if you wanted to remain somewhat anonymous, but curiosity got the better of me and I had to find out whose post that was. When I saw it was yours, I thought it was definitely worth linking to. Nice follow up explanation.

5. J. Dunn

March 9, 2005 @ 1:44 am

5

Nah, it’s fine. You shouldn’t put it out there in public if you aren’t willing to take credit for it, for better or worse. Though I did fall into some of the same traps we were discussing, since I basically thought of my frassle blog as not very public. Of course, it is, totally public, but I know pretty much nobody but Berkman people reads it, so I subconsciously write as if that’s the case. I wouldn’t have written as candidly at myname.org, definitely.

But, the good thing is that I have the opportunity to explain myself in this medium. If my name had been linked to the comment on tv, I would have looked like an asshole and had no opportunity to explain myself.