Recently I have decided to give up on the CS50 MOOC before I have even started. Although this failure may have been due to a lack of research behind the MOOC, I am starting to see some of the flaws of Massive Open Online Courses.

There are countless benefits to MOOCs, but with anything new and exciting, there are going to be some negative side effects. For my course T-509 Massive: The Future of Learning at Scale, we were given the task of creating a dramatization for the worst-case scenario of large scale learning.

My friend, Lindsay Evans, and I created a PowToon that shows some of the tragic implications of large scale learning. Feel free to check it out our animation on YouTube. Please keep in mind, this is a dramatization and does not represent the beliefs of the authors (even though I may agree with some of them).

Comments

2 Comments so far

1. Lindsey Bailey on November 4, 2014 3:32 am

Loved the animation! The music was a great dramatic backdrop. 🙂 Thank you for sharing!

2. Merisenda Bills on November 6, 2014 2:33 am

Hahah I too have temporarily given up on CS50. I did the first problem set and started on the second, and that’s it. It’s really hard to engage in that type a work without the social element. Plus, it’s hard to do that work in addition to all the work we’re already doing in our HGSE courses.

Also, you girls did a great job on your PowToon!

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind