Open Government better government?

I had not been previously exposed to the idea of open government… I also had not realized that a simple web search of my legal name held lots of my information. I subsequently continued this fascination by searching up all of the credentials of some of my best friends. Same story. I find it intriguing that I, along with all of my other friends, have so many different accounts for so many different things. This wouldn’t be so striking if I had different login credentials for all of these services that I utilize; unfortunately, though, this is a lot to keep track of. As a result, many people use the same email, same password, and same security questions for all of their accounts. This fact, in today’s world, often makes for easy-pickings for those interested in identity theft: more often than not, if someone can hack your Facebook, they more than likely have the information needed to tamper with your bank account.

This leads into the idea of “unique” identification. As most people have probably seen, Apple has instituted TouchID in their devices. The technology reads your finger print, and grants you access if you are who you say you are. It’s funny because I began to see this technology about 5-6 years ago when my local 24 Hour Fitness started using this technology. When you approached the desk to sign in, you had to enter your PIN number and then scan your finger.

I am intrigued to learn more about facial recognition and even iris testing. I think this is the best way to eliminate identity theft and other horrors that are out there in today’s world. No one has figured out a way to get beyond these kinds of tests… yet.

1. Mike Smith

October 28, 2017 @ 7:27 pm

1

I’m glad to see that we’ve piqued your interest. I love seeing how one thought leads a student to another line of questions, which then opens another line of questions on a related topic.

The best identification isn’t biometric alone, but multi-factor. This is typically a combination of something you know (e.g., a password), something you have (e.g., security fob like the RFID you have in your Harvard ID), and something you are (e.g., your fingerprint). Any one of these things alone isn’t considered good security.

The simplest way around a fingerprint scan is to force the person to put their finger on the scanner. Not very high tech, but very effective.