Weekend Cooking

I didn’t leave the house for two days out of the three-day weekend. Awesome. But don’t think I was 100% lazy. I cleaned the bathroom and kitchen floors, read the Sunday paper, watched a couple dvds, did a big grocery shop, and dog-eared my June cooking magazines.

The weekend is when I try to creatively use the remaining produce from Wednesday’s delivery (note: I did not say box).

Saturday afternoon I poached some tuna with lemon slices and peppercorns -the best preparation for frozen tuna steaks from Trader Joe’s.  The quality of the frozen tuna isn’t quite high enough for searing (although I do it anyway – usually with a rub of lemon zest, garlic, parsley and rosemary). On Sunday I tossed the poached tuna with lemon juice, mustard, olive oil, chopped celery tomato and sweet pickles for a tuna salad. 

Also on Sunday, I made tiny lemon cakes for Marisa and Joe’s barbeque, from a recipe in Everyday Food. I use recipes from this Martha Stewart spin-off much more often than my other cooking magazines which I use more for technique and inspiration.

Monday. A recipe for “liquid ohm” from Cooking Light called for ingredients I had in my house: A bag of frozen mango in the freezer, and organic carrots, oranges, and pears. And ginger and chamomile (Sleepy Time) tea.  

And it gave me an excuse to use my awesome red juicer that Fran bought for me at a yard sale.

Fran’s negotiating skills were thwarted by the seller who immediately suggested a price of one dollar after Fran readied herself to talk her down to $5.

Here’s the very orange juice after a visit to the blender.

It must sit in the refrigerator for many hours, then it’s strained to remove any pulpy bits. I had a glass this morning. Very tasty.

Monday’s dinner was roasted mustardy potatoes (Everyday Food) and sauteed broccoli with garlic.