Netflix Logic

After reading about the Netflix fallacy, (via Pullquote) I had to admit defeat and this morning I sent back two Netflix DVDs I have been hanging on to for a few weeks. They were, in fact, subtitled films. And I will, in fact, reorder my Netflix queue so that for the next few harried weeks I will only be receiving light, english-speaking films that can be easily and quickly digested. When you already have a pile of subtitled films waiting to be watched, which you have to watch for your job, adding more to the pile simply creates movie-watcher’s guilt and Neflix bottleneck. I can’t even get through more than 15 minutes at a time of The Spanish Apartment! I’ve had that one for weeks. And forget Water Drops on Burning Rocks. Yet Secret Window came and went in 24 hours.

4 Responses to “Netflix Logic”

1. Justin Kownacki
    August 3rd, 2004 | 7:45 pm

I should try this Netflix thing… But I do like the experience of wandering up and down the “not new but not quite old” wall at my local West Coast Video for half an hour and then arbitrarily picking two movies from the fold…

Incidentally, I found “Water Drops on Burning Rocks” in a similar fashion and while I didn’t “like” the movie, I did like the movie. Very well done, even if it’s not the kind of film that makes you feel especially warm inside.

2. cynthia rockwell
    August 4th, 2004 | 8:59 am

you call yourself a film person and you don’t have netflix???? you can still do the brick-and-mortar thing when you want immediacy.

3. Justin Kownacki
    August 4th, 2004 | 1:40 pm

True. But I’m a film person on a budget. Do I rent $22 worth of DVDs a month?… Well, factoring in late fees, probably.

I may bite the bullet later today.

4. Justin Kownacki
    August 4th, 2004 | 6:19 pm

All right, I did it.

Now, 50 movies later, my queue is starting to swell and I have to cut myself off…

I’m trying to split the difference between American films I didn’t get to see in theaters and foreign films I’ve been meaning to get around to. I’ll let you know if the foreign film hex holds up.