Funny Men (spit)

I used to have a thing for funny guys. As in, it was the ONLY trait I cared about. I even wrote an essay on the topic of funny men and girls who like them and the twisted dynamic that this ultimately is. Maybe I will try to dig it out. Anyway I saw this exchange on this blog and laughed with recognition and disgust:

LUKE: She has such a great sense of humour, too!
ME: I didn’t really notice her cracking a lot of jokes.
LUKE: Well, what I mean is she laughed at MY jokes.

6 Responses to “Funny Men (spit)”

1. snjoseph
    April 3rd, 2005 | 11:35 pm

Hey, I’d love to read your essay. In my experience when women (or especially men) say that “sense of humor” is the number one thing they find attractive, they’re really lying, which I think is very healthy. Any idiot has a sense of humor, it’s like saying what you really want in a partner is a nice pair of thumbs. I’m glad you’ve raised your expectations. The best lovers are people that take themselves WAAAAY too seriously, anyway.

2. Paul Herzberg
    April 4th, 2005 | 5:56 am

Actually, it sounds like a rant me and my brother shared a few days ago. I don’t want to get in to as it has probably some of the most unPC things I’ve said for a while. But essentially it was why should sense of humour be important, it’s not enough that we take you out, care for you and fuck you. We have to entertain too. And how is it that it’s that knuckle dragging mouth breather who’s making you laugh whereas my refined and sly wit is gettin’ me no play whatsoever…

But maybe I should work out my problems on my own blog.

Anyway, telling jokes or doing funny stuff is not necessarily GSOH and the opposite is true also.

3. cynthia rockwell
    April 4th, 2005 | 12:08 pm

it may be needless to say but this also has a connection to the
    previous posts about immature men. when one dates only funny guys, one
    gets only immature men. by their very nature, funny guys (and by that i
    mean the guys who really care ONLY about being funny, not just guys who
    have a good sense of humor) are funny because they can’t deal with real
    emotion. sense of humor is of course still important, but everyone
    should stay away from the stand-up comedian types. more on this later.

4. guy
    April 6th, 2005 | 9:09 am

you’re ignoring the following part from the same post:

“Luke said on the drive home that Tony always has all the hottest chicks. “I bet women feel very safe with him,” I replied. “Just standing there talking to him, I had the feeling that he would let no harm come to me.” Also, he has a fantastic laugh. He’s the kind of guy I’d set up with my best friend.”

let me tell you from experience, that making women feel safe maybe gets you into their confession booth, but rarely into bed. because ironically, they all want to set you up with their best friends. Who then want to set you up with *their* best friends.

5. Paul Herzberg
    April 6th, 2005 | 10:23 am

Ah, the “Sneaky Fucker”. Classic.

6. cynthia rockwell
    April 6th, 2005 | 12:23 pm

i agree guy, that’s probably why i ignored that part…it’s more often a hint of danger that gets a guy into bed rather than making a girl feel safe. and being really funny is in some ways a kind of dangerous energy. as for the ‘sneaky fucker’–it takes more than just being there to be successful with women…plenty of wimpy guys still complain about women only being attracted to jerks. jerks who aren’t out battling wooly mammoth but instead use that dangerous energy to conquer lots of women.