Finally Summer

Overnight I went from space heater to cooling fan. And I’m a little too shellshocked to put away the space heater just yet. Not for nothing–it’s supposed to be 60 degrees tomorrow. But even though I am generally not a summer person, I can’t get enough of this weekend’s weather. I actually enjoy being reminded that my body is capable of perspiring in situations that do not involve physical exertion. I’ve missed it.

This morning I found both Diesel and MacKinnon’s to be half empty. That has never happened to me before. I wasn’t sure if it was the weather or the timing–it was about 10:30, and some sort of marathon was starting up, runners with numbers on their backs swarming the sidewalks. But shortly after I entered both places, they started filling up.

Everyone was so friendly this morning. From the smiling runners stretching before their race to the heavy-accented (and likely mafioso) old guys greeting each other in front of Mike’s (“How you doin’?” “How you doin’?”). Funny what a little sun and heat will do for those who have been deprived.

2 Responses to “Finally Summer”

1. guy
    June 5th, 2005 | 3:54 pm

totally – as a former mediterranean, i could not understand the joy associated with summer and spring until i moved to new england. it’s so nice out. sigh.

even my basil, which i already proclaimed never-to-be has finally decided to pop its seed and dozens of tiny two-leaf basil sprouts are covering the soil in the pot on my porch.

2. cynthia rockwell
    June 5th, 2005 | 6:02 pm

as a fall-and-winter person i couldn’t understand the joy associated with summer either, until now! and just like your basil, the dandelions and other tacky weeds in my front yard are growing like crazy…time to crack the whip on the lazy landlord.