Reemerging and Relocating

Just about 3 years ago, I started this blog. I began writing in part to reinvigorate my academic studies, which had become remarkably unfulfilling. Blogging helped change that to some extent. As it turned out, school and writing could be fun after all.

At least in the formal sense, the school part comes to an end for now. I took my last final exam today; pending any unforeseen circumstances, I’m a Harvard graduate. This last push of exams, as well as enjoying my final moments at college and doing some travelling, contributed to the recent paucity of posts.

Rest assured, the writing will continue, albeit still at a trickle at this blog in the near future. Next month, I move to San Francisco and start work as a Webwriter/Activist for EFF.

When I started this blog, I had fairly modest aspirations for my involvement in the copyfight and Internet activism; I would have been content if
only Donna, Mary, and Frank paid any attention to me. I feel fortunate to have interacted with so many people through this blog and to have had so many tremendous experiences at the Berkman Center, Creative Commons, the Samuelson Clinic, and beyond. I can’t tell you how excited I am to start this next chapter.

As some of you might know, I’ve been looking forward to moving home, back to SF, for awhile. At the same time, there are many things I will miss about Boston, particularly the Berkman Center. That community was where I felt most at home here at Harvard, and I am deeply indebted and thankful to everyone there. I’ll fortunately get to continue my affiliation with them in various forms, and the virtual connections will of course persist.

2 Responses to “Reemerging and Relocating”

1. Giacomo
    January 30th, 2006 | 8:45 pm

I hope you’ll keep writing the blog, it’s a real good one! I’ve just started writing my own blog (about IP obviously!) and the reasons are exactly the same that brought you starting writing, except that I’ve started working on IP and a blog is the best way to keep the mind fresh with not-so-work-related issues and to confront myself with other people out there.
    I hope my experience will be long-lasting like yours!

Giacomo

2. mary hodder
    February 2nd, 2006 | 6:40 pm

Hey Derek,
    Congrats on the move and the new job! I’ve been underwater for a bit and just saw this post.. we are launching soon and you know how that can cause the aggregator to back up with entries.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to hanging out and seeing you much more often!

mary