Working at the Pac-12!

As promised, here is the firsthand account of my experience at the Pac-12. Just to give a quick introduction, the Pac-12 athletic conference consists of 12 member schools (Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah). The Pac-12 conference recently expanded, adding the Pac-12 Enterprises, with one office in Walnut Creek, CA, and a new office location in San Francisco California. When I started working, in late May, everyone in the company worked out of the Walnut Creek office, but once the new office opened in San Francisco,  my group moved there.

The Pac-12 Enterprises is in charge of launching the Pac-12 networks, which consists of six regional networks, and one national network that will be dedicated to broadcasting every varsity sport at the Pac-12 schools. This task is a huge undertaking, as the Pac-12 Enterprises is taking 100% ownership of the scheduling, producing and distribution of the video content, something no other conference has tried to do. To accommodate this extensive project, the new office in San Francisco has several full size studios with multiple “dark rooms” used for editing and processing the videos. Comcast, one of the our television distributors, occupies the first floor, while the Pac-12 enterprises occupies the 2nd and 3rd floors of the building.

New Office Entrance

Interior pictures of the San Francisco Office

The Pac-12 Networks is planning to launch with TV everywhere, where you can watch the Pac-12 channel from any mobile device (Ipad, Iphone, web, etc.) as well as on a television set. As an intern on the Digital Team, we are in charge of creating the visual design and functionality of the digital broadcast (web and Ipad viewing) of the Pac-12 Networks. In addition to creating the digital content, we are in charge of relaunching the Pac-12 conference website.

When I started working here, I honestly didn’t really know what to expect. As my internship comes to a close, I know I will look back on this summer and feel that I was part of something really special. It isn’t the huge studios and office spaces that have made my time here so memorable, but it has been the people I have had the opportunity to work with. They come from many different backgrounds, but they share the same passion and desire to take collegiate sports to the next level. As a college athlete, it is refreshing to see so many people who are passionate about improving the collegiate athletic experience, as well as make it more accessible to high school players who are striving to compete at the next level. Working here has helped me learn more about myself as well as what I would like to do in the future.

Mayor of San Francisco, Edwin Lee, welcomes the Pac-12 Enterprises staff to the new office.

So the countdown has officially started, with the Pac-12 networks scheduled to launch on August 15th! Thanks for reading this post, and I will write a quick recap after we launch to talk about my final thoughts about this summer, before I head back to the east coast for my sophomore year!