Weed This Morning

Just back from vacation. I noticed this morning that a lot of the low sidewalk weeds are in flower. On the walk to work, the carpetweed, doorweed, pimpernel and sand spurrey were in evidence, and possibly knawel as well. I have a feeling that the spotted spurge is about to burst, and the purslane can’t be far off. Sowthistles abound, and various solanaceae are of interest; black nightshade in flower, bittersweet nightshade with big new swollen green berries.

But most interesting of all these solanaceae is a charismatic weed, completely new to me! That hasn’t happened to me in the city for at least a year. The weed is:

• Buffalo Bur (Solanum rostratum) (nightshade family) – Big old papery yellow flowers. Fascinating pinnately-lobed leaves, reminiscent of white oak. Cruel, bristling, omnipresent prickles. Unbelievably wicked-looking spiny fruit. Apparently this was originally a weed of the great plains, named for its liking for buffalo wallows. It’s supposed to have a tumbleweed mechanism of seed dispersal. Buffalo bur truly has it all!

It was growing in the vacant lot next to my work building. (Where? I’ll never tell!) I’ve also seen crown vetch in there: which I think is the only place in Massachusetts where I’ve run into it. It’s common as all get-out around Sodus Bay; I suppose it was probably planted for erosion control. There’s a leguminous shrub growing in that site too, and maybe it’s also a rarity which came in with the construction dirt? I burn with anticipation!

17 Responses to “Weed This Morning”

1. desultor Says:

I did go back. The legume had died. And I’ve seen crown vetch elsewhere in Massachusetts; the Mystic River park comes to mind.

2. Mind,mind Control Says:

I Like to read about mind,mind control.Got your page on Saturday.Your Post Desultor » Blog Archive » Weed This Morning is really Nice.Thanks.

3. vaporizer Says:

Excellent post.

4. QQ Says:

pimpernel and sand spurrey were in evidence, and possibly knawel as well. I have a feeling that the spotted spurge is about to burst, and the purslane can’t be far off. Sowthistles abound, and various solanaceae are of

5. weed bubblers for sale Says:

A very interesting post. I will come back to this site again soon.

6. NastyFroglet Says:

Erosion control is an ongoing battle in today’s atmosphere. Its even more essential we stay environmentally conscious even though we start to develop further into outling places
    silt fence

7. Kelly Lamb Says:

What are your essential research resources?

8. Ozella Caliman Says:

Hi there! Good stuff, please inform me when you finally post something like this!

9. jerry Says:

‘Sup! Just dropped by to say great site. Keep up the good job you’re doing!

10. hemroid cream Says:

wow! weed…

11. hemroid cream Says:

I am glad that I detected this website , precisely the right info that I was looking for! .

12. Lenora Angerer Says:

What’s up! Just wanted to write great site. Continue with the great work you’re doing!

13. Alex Darwin Says:

Certainly one of many challenges which people beginning a brand new on-line company face is that of obtaining visitors to their web site.

14. Henriette Ciani Says:

I carry on listening to the news lecture about getting boundless online grant applications so I have been looking around for the most excellent site to get one. Could you tell me please, where could i get some?

15. Amos Strothman Says:

Hi, – discovered your current blog by accident when looking around the web this evening, and happy that i did! I do like the layout and tones, but I should mention that I’m having problems when it loads. I’m using ELinks 0.11 browser for mac, and the header fails to line up well. i’m convinced applied an identical design on a client’s internet site, but the menu seems okay on mine. I have an idea the fault is with my browser and I’m assuming today’s the day to change for a better one!

16. Soraya Kapa Says:

I was more than happy to find this web-site.I needed to thanks in your time for this excellent learn!! I undoubtedly enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to take a look at new stuff you weblog post.

17. Vanna Luton Says:

I was just looking for this info for some time. After six hours of continuous Googleing, at last I got it in your web site. I wonder what’s the lack of Google strategy that do not rank this kind of informative websites in top of the list. Normally the top sites are full of garbage.