Just one spammer

That’s all it took. I approved one spammer I didn’t know was a spammer and now I’ve got to flag as spam a growing pile of comments to this blog. I just killed three a few minutes ago. There will be a dozen before the day is out. I’m sure the number will continue to grow

The same thing happened with the VRM mail list. There are so many bogus requests to post to that list that I can’t keep up with them. I suppose there is some irony in that.

Spam killed my old podcast blog. Never did much podcasting anyway. Spam also paralyzed IT Garage. I haven’t posted there since July.

My mail is buried in spam too, but I hope to fix that soon, along with other problems at searls.com. Meanwhile, I’ll give thanks for that which isn’t spam in the world. The percentage seems to be decreasing.

7 responses to “Just one spammer”

1. Surely there is some way to unapprove the bad guy, isn’t there?

2. Yes. It’s one of the couple hundred we have so far. And I need to do that.

3. Yeah, comment spam continues to be a massive pain in the arse for me. However, I did recently just write a piece about how Gmail for Domains has cured 99% of my spam problem. Honestly, I probably average two spam messages in my inbox each day. It’s a remarkable improvement, and I’ve had my email address out on the web for seven or eight years, so I get a lot of incoming spam.

4. Doc, can you install Spam Karma? Under WordPress SK2 is the best fighter on comment spam. Also, you can ratchet up how fierce it is or ratchet down. Powerful mojo in the continuing effort to keep communities spam free and admins sane.

Happy Thanksgiving Doc!

5. I agree with Joe – Spam Karma is truly amazing – almost certainly cure your problems

6. SK has killed over 10,000 spams on one of my sites, and has yet to yield up a false positive.

7. Another vote for Spam Karma 2 – it is incredible. I have virtually ceased worrying about spam – it’s an unusual *month* when a spam gets through, and I’m seeing hundreds per day.

Of course, you should also send him some moolah to show your thanks. It’s.. karma.