Stations’ identification

So I’m walking across the Harvard campus, going from one Berkman office to another, listening to KCLU from Santa Barbara on my iPhone. The guest on the show is Berkman’s own John Palfrey. I think, that’s coolwhat’s the show? The tuner doesn’t tell me, because (I assume) KCLU doesn’t provide that data along with the audio stream.

To find out, I just sat down on a bench, popped open the laptop and started looking around. KCLU’s site says what’s on now is OnPoint. That’s because the time on the scuedule block says 9:00am. It’s currently 10:45am, Pacific. The next show block on the schedule is Fresh Air at 11:00am. John isn’t listed as an OnPoint guest, so… what is the show he’s on?

I wait until the interview with John ends, and then I learn that the show is Here & Now, which KCLU says comes on at 2pm. Here & Now has the JP segment listed. Says this:

More Countries Use Internet Censorship
Listen
We’ve heard about countries like China, Iran and North Korea censoring websites. But our guest, John Palfrey of Harvard’s Berman Center for Internet and Society says the practice is becoming more widespread—more than three dozen countries do extensive censoring, even France, Australia and the U.S. engage in some type of censorship.

Now it’s 11:00am Pacific, and KCLU brings on Science Friday. Also at variance from the schedule.

I’m not sure how to fix the problem of not including show data in a stream (or, if included, getting it displayed on software tuners), though I am sure it’s fixable. More importantly, I am convinced of the  need of listeners to know what they’re hearing, to bookmark it, and to find out more about it later. At the very least they should be able to find the answer to the “What was that?” question — without spending fifteen minutes surfing around a browser on a laptop.

Being able to know what you’re hearing would also inform decisions about, say, how much money you’d like to throw at the station or a program, if you’d like to do that. That’s what EmanciPay (which I wrote about yesterday) would help do.

Anyway, that’s why we’re working on Listen Log, as a variety of Media Logging. Input welcome.

6 responses to “Stations’ identification”

1. Metadata is a way to explicitly preserve context. It’s missing context, or re-establishing it through re-mynizing (a neologism, possibly mis-spelt meaning to de-anonymize).

Google’s new “wave” is all about keeping context by allowing multiple independent streams to flow into (and from) a given document, which is really a context.

It’ll be interesting to co-write a blog with someone once the tools come out later this year.

2. I like the concept of the EmanciPay, but I think you need to come up with a better name.

3. Find a better one, kamiobi, and maybe it’ll have a chance. I happen to like it.

4. …which begs two questions:

1. How come you were listening to KCLU and not WBUR, when both NPR affiliates allegedly play the same things at the same, or near similar, times?

2. Is WBUR in the same metadata arena as KCLU?

5. Ari, two reasons. First, the two stations don’t both play the same things,much less at the same times. Second, I live in Santa Barbara as well as Boston, and I like to hear what’s going on out there too. That’s why I tuned in.

In fact I listen to hundreds of different stations in any case.

6. Perhaps a little late to the party but drinking from the web fire hose now that I’m in Hong Kong vs China.

I’d agree w/ both Mike + Kamiobi on their respective opinions.

You could always try to crowd source a new brand name.