For your soul’s bibliography

I’ve been so heads-down working on a book, and prepping  for this this week’s workshop, that I haven’t blogged anything in a while. Normally blogging is a steam valve for my work, but tweeting does more of that now. (Which is too bad, because tweets are snow on the water. Or at least it seems that way when I go back looking for what somebody said.) So the blog(s) get neglected.

Anyway, I want to share my affection for two new books that blowing my mind, page after page. One is Kevin Kelly’s What Technology Wants. The other is Lewis Hyde’s Common as Air: Revolution, Art and Ownership. Both authors worked for years on these books, and it shows in the depth of their scholarship and the polish of their prose.

Both are not merely important, but essential. Kevin’s breaks new ground in all directions one must travel to understand what technology is, and its relationship with human nature and work. Lewis does a complete re-think of “intellectual property,” and in the process re-grounds our understanding in an abundance of history — too much of which has been long (and selectively) forgotten. I can’t find a review of What Technology Wants yet, so I’ll link to what Craig Burton said here a while ago. Common as Air got a huge thumbs-up from Robert Darnton this past Sunday in The New York Times’ Sunday Book Review. Go read it. I’m getting back to work.

3 responses to “For your soul’s bibliography”

1. Kevin’s book is not out until October, so until then, I guess I’ll just be able to get 1/2 my mind blown. ; )

1. Oh, I forgot that the book isn’t out yet. I thought it was. I have two pre-release copies, one already committed to somebody. 🙁

2. Please don’t neglect your blog. I for one only read your tweets by the rare chance that I log into Twitter occasionally.

But I always always read your blog, even if weeks go by between catching up, because it’s one of my favourite blogs and I’ve subscribed to it in Google Reader.

Twitter is dangerous that way. But I believe it is far far inferior to a real blog, when it comes down to where it counts.