Can’t lose, in a way

I grew up in New Jersey and New York, rooting for the Giants. (And, in the Namath era, the Jets too.)

Then, after 20 years in North Carolina (mostly as a college basketball fan), I lived in the Bay Area for 25 years, and rooted for the 49ers there. One daughter lives in the Bay Area, and most of my wife’s huge family lives in the Bay Area, and most of them are hard-core for the Niners. We were out there a week ago and got some great hang time watching the Niners beat the Saints.

However, I’ve worked and lived in New England for five and a half years now, and have been rooting for the Patriots here. Our fourth kid lives here too and pulls for the Pats.

One of our kids lives in Baltimore, along with both of our grandkids. Another kid lives in Maryland too. That’s our Ravens connection.

So I won’t mind too much if the Ravens beat the Pats. Very close game so far.

But I do want the Pats to win. Niners too. We’ll see how it goes.

[Later…] Pats won, on a heartbreaking field goal miss by the Ravens. Feel bad for that kicker. Also for the whole Ravens team, which I thought played better than the Pats. Would have been a good overtime game.

Now the Niners are up by seven in the rain. A Niners-Pats game would be terrific. Hope it happens.

[Later still…] Giants take it in overtime, off a Niners fumble. A hard way for the Harbaugh brothers to lose: on late errors, after well-played games.

Pats-Giants will be a good game. I’m picking in the Pats, but it’s hard not to respect the Giants after the run they’ve had late in the season. Wow.

3 responses to “Can’t lose, in a way”

1. Just off the top of my head it would be the first time brothers will have coached against each other in the Pro-Bowl (as head coaches). Can’t think of any other candidates / scenarios to have acheived that!

2. I suppose it would have been extra cool to have the Harbaugh Bowl. But then, that’s the Pro Bowl, right? Didn’t know that until you pointed it out.

My pick in the Superbowl: Pats by 3. If Gronkowski is healthy. If not, a toss-up.