Shooting sundown showdown

I shot the sunset above a couple days ago in New Hampshire. Here’s another from the same set:

And another:

And another:

And another:

And another:

Which are best? Are any really good? Or all of them? Or none?

Some are obviously enhanced with digital tools: adjusted in brightness, contrast, exposure, color balance, vibrance, detail, saturation, white and black levels, temperature and other variables. But didn’t we do the same thing with dodges, pushes and other tricks in darkrooms? I did, back in the decade. There’s art to all that too.

I wonder, because — almost invariably — the shots other people call favorites are not often my own.  Some of the above were labeled favorites by the great Thomas Hawk, which is a badge of honor. So I do assume that at least those are good. But the rest? You tell me, if you’re up for it. If not, I’ll still shoot and publish away, favoring more rather than less, because that’s what I do. 🙂

Here’s the full sunset gallery.

And the sunrise.

2 responses to “Shooting sundown showdown”

1. Hi Doc,
    I’ve been doing a lot of favorite surfing on Flickr lately, and I’ve come to realize that my favorites are usually (80%) crystal clear landscape shots, with absolutely no haze. The only exceptions are of course the really good creative uses of haze, fog, etc. 😉 (10%)

The remaining 10% are clever non-landscapes, or cute things, or places I’ve been.

2. I think all of these are strong. They all work from a light/composition standpoint.

I think once you get the light and composition down there is very little difference between photographs — extending on the Eggleston idea of shooting democratically.

http://www.egglestontrust.com/df_afterword.html

I’ve always enjoyed the colors in your sunset photographs.