This time of year is very stressful, so be good to yourself. Remember to sleep, eat actual food (that doesn’t come from vending machines), exercise (unless you’re like me and exercise isn’t part of your routine in which case this is probably a bad time to start), and use caffeine, energy drinks and alcohol in moderation.
The Dean of Students Office staff has a tradition of serving up carbs and greasy food during the reading period at Midnight Pancake Breakfast which will be held upstairs in the Hark on Thursday, December 8 from 10:30pm – midnight (and yes we get the inconsistency with the statement above).
De-Stress Chair Massage Breaks will take place on the first floor of the Hark from 11:30am-1:30pm on the following days:
· December 6th
· December 8th
· December 13th
· December 15th
Show up early to sign up for a free ten-minute massage.
We will have snacks and blank holiday cards so you can send holiday cards to members of the military if you choose.
Exam Related Questions:
If you have a question about exam logistics or the exam software, contact the Registrar’s Office (Pound 300).
email@example.com or 617-495-4612
if you have an exam problem related to an illness, or personal, family or medical emergency, contact Cat Collins in the Dean of Students Office (Pound 310) firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-495-1880
· Exams at HLS are anonymous. Please do not contact your professor about an exam for any reason. Call the Office of the Registrar or Cat Collins instead.
· If you are sick on an exam day, you should go to UHS (Pound 12, 617-495-4414) and have the doctor get in touch with Cat as soon as possible.
· If it is after hours or on a weekend when you are sick, you should go to UHS at Holyoke Center (75 Mt Auburn St). The urgent care number is 617-495-5711. Please have your doctor get in touch with Cat as soon as possible.
· If you are sick and cannot get to Holyoke Center by yourself, you can call the Harvard University Police Department for a medical transport. Their number is 617-495-1212.
· If you become ill in the middle of an in-class exam, please tell a proctor and then go to UHS. If you have seen the exam, the rule is that you have to finish it that day, so you will probably see a doctor, have a chance to rest, and then have to finish it later. If you get sick during a take-home exam, please call Cat and then go to UHS. The Dean of Students Office cannot make any adjustments after the fact, so please stop the exam if necessary.
· If there is an emergency (either personal or involving a family member), please call Cat as soon as possible.
· If you are having other issues that might affect your ability to take your exam, please call or email Cat.
Just a reminder: please don’t leave your computers and other personal items unattended. A quick check by some librarians today showed that there were nine laptops, along with a number of bags sitting all alone at study tables and carrels. There have been thefts in the library and elsewhere on campus and these often get worse as exams approach and people know that students are studying longer hours.
Starting on December 5th the Gelato & Coffee bar will stay open until 8:00pm.
The Hark Box will close on December 9th.
Academic Support website:
Wellness website and resources:
Please be in touch with any concerns or questions. Good luck!